Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyota rav 4

Toyota rav 4

Thinking of a change as the L200 is far too thirsty these days and I use a quad for all the shoot work but still require a 4x4 for deer extraction Ect .with such good reviews of the hilux what do the SD members think of its smaller sister the rav four in its 5 door guise diesel or petrol .i quite like the look of the newer ones what do you think ?
    Cheers
    ​norma

I don't know if it is true but I was told that they are expensive for stuff like clutch swaps etc.

We persuaded our mum to swap from a freelander into a rav4 5 door diesel several years ago due to running costs. Very reliable in comparison, nice to drive and think it manages 46mpg when I'm not driving. Very manouverable and a doddle to park in comparison with my old l200! May need to switch to a more suitable tyre depending upon the offroading asked of it, but then that goes for any vehicle.
    Hope this helps
    Briar

Quote Originally Posted by perdix View Post
    I don't know if it is true but I was told that they are expensive for stuff like clutch swaps etc.
    Yes I heard they are a bit expensive part wise but do they go wrong very often ?
    ​norma

I run a landcruiser amazon(not a rav 4 I know) it's done 230000 miles on normal servicing and an exhaust , oh and one lambda sensor , apart from that it just keeps on going , no fuss ! I've just drove back from north of Inverness and my buddy reckons it still drives like a new car , everything works and I mean every switch function the lot! (Try that in an 05 rangerover with 230k on it)

i think it will need a heater fan bearing soon though because I can hear a faint squeak sometimes from that area although it still works?

all in all the finest vehicle I've ever run bar none (and I've tried a few!) reliability is king for me not posing.
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

My wife had a 3dr Rav, it was 2L petrol so a bit thirsty (or was it her driving?) but this was offset by reliability, in the 5 years she had it the car never went wrong, not once!
    It never went off road (on purpose) but was great on ice and snow.
    Being the 3dr it was only suitable for munties!
    Cheers
    ​Richard

We ran a '99 petrol as the wifes srv (school run vehicle) for 5 years, not one problem. Ok on grass and farm tracks but i wouldnt try taking one down a byway thats been used by greenlaners.

Had a look on auto trader boy they hold thier money don't they !

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    They do don't they.
    Also be carefull on age and engine, only a couple of models could be considered good on fuel.
    My mates 5 door deisel is an 06 plate and as yet has never got past 30mpg for any type of driving.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    Provided there are enough of them on there you can get a good idea of what to expect from a vehicle by looking at the ads towards the bottom end of the price range on Auto Trader. If there's lots of them on there at similar mileages that gives a fair indication of the extent of that model's trouble free life. The Rav4s do well in this test. If you look at Honda CRVs there's often a couple of pages of them with 200,000+ miles. Not suggesting that a CRV would or would not make a practical working 4X4 - don't know much about them and I expect most of them have never seen a blade of grass, but those mileages tell you something.