Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rifle bolt storage

Rifle bolt storage

I keep the bolt and magazine for my T3 in the ammo' safe, away from the gun. Does it matter if the bolt is left in the 'cocked' position or not??

I keep mine in the gun. Too many similar bolts.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueduncan View Post
    I keep the bolt and magazine for my T3 in the ammo' safe, away from the gun. Does it matter if the bolt is left in the 'cocked' position or not??

Why leave it cocked? Close the bolt gently and pull the trigger at the same time (when empty!!!!) de-cocks it for storing...

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    Why leave it cocked? Close the bolt gently and pull the trigger at the same time (when empty!!!!) de-cocks it for storing...
    Ahhh but when you left the bolt handle to open the bolt it will re-cock will it not?

As the bolt is stored out of and away from the rifle this method surely will not work.

I am sure there must be a way to de-cock a bolt removed from the rifle but I don't know it with the T3 and it seems that having to re-cock it each time would be a PITA.

I have way to many safes, so keep my bolts / chokes / magazines / moderators in one. Ammo in another. Shotguns in one and rifles in another.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Ahhh but when you left the bolt handle to open the bolt it will re-cock will it not?

As the bolt is stored out of and away from the rifle this method surely will not work.

I am sure there must be a way to de-cock a bolt removed from the rifle but I don't know it with the T3 and it seems that having to re-cock it each time would be a PITA.
    I didn't pay enough attention to the OP, I thought he meant de-cocking when bolt was still in rifle. Now you have pointed this out it makes more sense as I thought anyone with a rifle would know how to de-cock it in this manner.

Sako used to provide a tool for this very job. I know from experience that some bolts with strong springs are a bit of a pest to try and do this however...

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    I keep mine in the gun. Too many similar bolts.
    ​same here.

when I used to shoot small bore there were bolt holders for the anschutz botl that decocked them as you fitted them in.
    sure something similar can be made

+1 here and never had a problem with FEO's on inspections.

Easy enough to decock when out of rifle
    problem is recocking it with some very strong springs

I keep mine in the rifle though!