Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Copper rememberance poppies

Copper rememberance poppies

Well,

had a few of these on the go of late.

Been out in the shop over the past week, i was hoping to get 4 done, but ran out of gas on my torch, so will have to finish the others later on.

I was working on these that i cut out at work the other day:

I took a few pics of some of the stages of work, just in case you fancy having a go.

First thing was to drill out a hole in the middle, then do some texturing on the anvil with a cross pein hammer:

Then, i bowl out the petals on my ickle anvil with a ickle ball pain:

This causes a small overlap that is sorted with a set of snips:

When that's done, i add in a 'foot' to the ickle anvil and beat around the edges of the petals to curve them over, makes them look softer and more 3D:

The barb wire is now cut:

I did the leaf out of some thin brass plate, and a mini poppy to go in the middle before balling over the wire to hold it all together.

And so, Voila!

Now to do the other 3!

Many thanks to Steve, aka SUSSEXFALLOW, who gave me the copper some months ago.
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Brilliant just wish I had such talent.

they look great digger, well done
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

Very very artistic but also very very poignant,great work Digger!

Martin

Fantastic work as always sir
    There are no perfect men in this world ..... Only perfect intentions

Glad you like them boys.

Thought long and hard about these. I wasn't going to sell any because i wouldn't want to profit off the back of the vets and the legion, but then i got thinking that the legion could benefit as well, so I'm going to get in touch with them and see what they reckon to getting a percentage from any i sell. Or, maybe i make 100, they sell them and i take a percentage? It would certainly help pay for materials, and if it gets her indoors enough shekels to buy a few bags of food shopping once in a while it covers my derriere for being out in the workshop for hours.

Wha'da'ya fink?
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by digger9523 View Post
    Glad you like them boys.

Thought long and hard about these. I wasn't going to sell any because i wouldn't want to profit off the back of the vets and the legion, but then i got thinking that the legion could benefit as well, so I'm going to get in touch with them and see what they reckon to getting a percentage from any i sell. Or, maybe i make 100, they sell them and i take a percentage? It would certainly help pay for materials, and if it gets her indoors enough shekels to buy a few bags of food shopping once in a while it covers my derriere for being out in the workshop for hours.

Wha'da'ya fink?
    You sell the poppies and make a donation to them.
    Probably be long winded dealing with them direct.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Fantastic workmanship and artistry. I love the use of the barbed wire as stem. So poignant.

K
    Last edited by Klenchblaize; 13-11-2014 at 09:18.
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Make 100 - number them, auction them and give a large % to the Legion. If you could involve them to endorse the poppies it would be even better - so no one can see them and copy the design. - Just an idea.

The DO look the nuts though.