Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rail mounted open sights

rail mounted open sights

Can anyone recommend any after market rail mounted open sights?

I want some for my 30-06 for driven boar / tracking rifle

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly received.

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

I'm a bit confused as to what you are actually looking for. Do I take it that you have a picatinny rail fitted to this rifle but no open sights at present, and that you want to fit some sort of short sight radius open sights on the rail?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    I'm a bit confused as to what you are actually looking for. Do I take it that you have a picatinny rail fitted to this rifle but no open sights at present, and that you want to fit some sort of short sight radius open sights on the rail?
    thats the kiddy !

ive just had a sako 691 re-barrelled in 30-06 and it has the open sights removed , infact the doner rifle didnt have them when i bought it !

Discretion assured

have a look at the leupold deltapoint reflex red dot system..think that's what you want brother ;-)

I would think that it's going to have to be a red dot type sight then. You don't really have enough length of sight radius to fit open type sights on your rail unless the rail extends pretty much the full length of the barrel like many combat type rifles.

Crude open type sights with a very short sight radius are fitted to the top of the army trilux sights but they are for emergency use only and only any good for pointing in the general direction of an adversary as an absolute last resort should the trilux fail.

Quote Originally Posted by leec6.5 View Post
    Can anyone recommend any after market rail mounted open sights?

I want some for my 30-06 for driven boar / tracking rifle

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly received.
    What you mean are Battue sights. This is a foresight dot with a rear sight groove or similar sight which align. Many refer to these as open sights.

Without the foresight you are bu**ered. What you need is what is commonly referred to as a red dot sight.

Plenty available on evil bay. Most are rip offs and don't handle heavy recoil for long.

​Stan

As Smullery says most of the red dot sights on ebay are utter rubbish and won't last five minutes. If you do go for a red dot sight buy something decent such as a genuine aimpoint or a docter or it will only lead to tears.

A bit late now as you have fitted a rail but you should have got a decent set of open sights or even a battue rib fitted when you had the rifle rebarreled if you knew you wanted it for driven boar or even tracking.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    As Smullery says most of the red dot sights on ebay are utter rubbish and won't last five minutes. If you do go for a red dot sight buy something decent such as a genuine aimpoint or a docter or it will only lead to tears.

A bit late now as you have fitted a rail but you should have got a decent set of open sights or even a battue rib fitted when you had the rifle rebarreled if you knew you wanted it for driven boar or even tracking.
    the rail has not been fitted , all the rifle has at the moment is the standard sako mountings for optilocs etc so its still a blank canvas so to speak , im looking for all surgestions .

Discretion assured

If you can see them, there's nothing like the freedom of open iron sights....... My only option without a bunch of expense and modifying is one of the doctor sights.... But after looking at the price of an adapter and the sight itself and not being able to come to terms with shooting with both eyes open, I'd be money ahead buying another rifle and putting a good 1-?x scope on it....

well in that case, if it was me, I would take it to a good gunsmith and have him install a good front sight, have a look at NECG, both the classics, banded with hood, but also the H&H moon sight - IMHO, the H&H moon sight with two bead sizes is ideal for moving between driven game and tracking where the larger bead might be needed in less than optimal light conditions.

I would then go to marble arms and get a fold-leaf rear sight with a white diamon.

thirdly, I would also ditch the optilocks and get a good set of EAW or Ziegler quick detach (swingoff or clawmounts) from Alan Rhone, and get a matching rear peep sight to lock into the rear base.

that will give you scope options (as the rear sight will fold flat), it will give you rear sight + front sight options by QD'ing the scope, for driven game or tracking, and it will give you options for longer shots and iron sight practice using the peep sight.

in addition, your rifle will look very classy and be a real personalised project. get it nicely rust blued and oil finished too, and consider having an ebony tip installed, steel grip cap, and a silvers recoil pad.

ok, I'll stop ;-)