Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stained fallow antler

stained fallow antler

Hi all a couple of years ago i shot a nice fallow buck still in velvet. I boiled the head out and peeled as much of the velvet off as possible. I have finally got round to sorting the antlers but they are a very odd colour. The palms are pinkish and there is a fair amount of black spots / patches. I would like to get the antlers at least a paler colour to then stain them but the odd colour seems to be in the antler rather than on the outside. Any ideas gratefully received.

Regards pete

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    Hi all a couple of years ago i shot a nice fallow buck still in velvet. I boiled the head out and peeled as much of the velvet off as possible. I have finally got round to sorting the antlers but they are a very odd colour. The palms are pinkish and there is a fair amount of black spots / patches. I would like to get the antlers at least a paler colour to then stain them but the odd colour seems to be in the antler rather than on the outside. Any ideas gratefully received.

Regards pete
    Pete have you applied hydrogen peroxide?
    Not clear if you've done that yet from your post

​Naseby

As it was still in velvet the antler was still growing so the staining that you see will be blood within the developing bone. I would apply peroxide in the same way that you would to a skull then, when its throughly dry, colour it with potassium permanganate. Be gentle doing this and maybe practice on a piece of cast antler first.

thanks guys yes sorry i didnt explain very well. i tried peroxide last night left it on for an hour but not much happened. it maybe cleaned the surface off a bit.

Attachment 34516Attachment 34517Attachment 34518

these pictures show what im up against. the right hand photo looks a little more brown than it actually is.
    the buck was shot in mid august due to raiding a local orchard with his possey. the velvet had started to fray on some of the points and if i had the choice again maybe i would have left him until clean but chances are few and far between and the land owner was pleased as he didnt see and fallow for a month after

I shouldn't worry about the current staining, colour over the top of it and you will get a more natural blotchy finish, fallow antlers aren't perfect and will differ from one deer to the next, it will probably make the finished result look more natural and less 'perfect'
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

So am I being a complete numpty. The peroxide I'm using has no mention of bleach in it. Left some on the skull overnight. Wiped it off this morning and nothing has happened.

Peroxide isn't bleach........you aren't being a numpty! But if it at hasn't made the staining go in that sort of time, I would just colour it and see how it looks, don't use bleach though, it will not do the antlers any good!

edit. You say you left it on the skull over night, do you mean the antlers or are you also trying to bleach the skull? If so, I would submerge the skull in warm to boiling water with some peroxide in it and soak it, then wrap the skull in cotton wool or toilet roll soaked in peroxide so that it stays moist and doesn't dry out, 12 hours or so like that then a good dry will whiten it up.
    Last edited by deerstalker.308; 12-11-2013 at 08:01.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Only left it it on skull as experiment. The skull is pretty awfull so I'm not using it. The antlers is what I'm really interested in.

finally got round to getting some stain on the antlers. got it from bush wear and am pleased with the results. dont think i will give them another coat as i dont want to get them looking muddy.

first coat
    Attachment 35418Attachment 35419

second coat

Attachment 35420Attachment 35421

Cracking job well done looks great !