Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back problems anyone?

Back problems anyone?

Think i might have damaged myself!
    2 weeks ago i was dropping off a Red Stag to the dealers, this involves reversing my Hilux to the scales, once the tail gate is dropped its a case of dragging the animal across as the weigh plate is at the same height as the tail gate. But, you have to balance the deer, it started to slip off (it would have been a nightmare getting it back on) and i grabbed for it and it took all my strength at a less than ideal lift position, nothing obvious at the time, just some muscle ache the next day, but 2 days later real trouble.
    Started with stiff neck, then shoulders and a stabbing pain between my shoulder blades, so i have put up with it for 10 days living on paracetamol and ibuprofen and no change, off to the doctors tomorrow to see if anything can be done.
    But, it isn't going to stop me stalking!
    Cheers
    ​Richard

Backs can be a nightmare. I do hope it's only muscular and will go away, DDS. Fingers crossed.

I think it was Billy Connolly that said when we get to a certain age, whenever we have to bend down to pick something up, we automatically make a noise.

Back problems .. hurts if move them and it hurts if you don`t.
    The Doc is the best one to advise. Hope it`s sorted soon.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Find a good physio rugby players usually know of agood one.The oe i use has me walking after half an hour.

Also a good cairo man

Blog Entries
    After 10 days its likely not muscular.

Get yourself down the Doctor. NHS like to make you wait and see. You might get Physio.

How they know how to treat you without an MRI is another matter. My 3 months of Physio just aggravated the problem.

I'm now 14 months in to a disc problem. Now I have waited long enough I am being referred to the back clinic (Well I was 5 weeks ago, still waiting to hear)

You could go Private of course. I would also consider an Osteopath rather than a Chiropractor.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

Quote Originally Posted by howy308 View Post
    Also a good cairo man
    Does one need to visit Eygpt in order to find one?

Don't go near a physio or a chiro until you know what the problem really is - they are just as likely to aggravate it as help. After several very bad experiences, I would go so far as to say avoid them like the plague. They have just enough of a clue to do you some very serious damage.

Most likely is that you have some variation on the herniated disc theme: you are likely to have something that has shifted, torn or swollen in such a way that it's pressing on a nerve and causing muscle contractions in one area, and the rest of the muscles are fighting to counteract or compensate for this.

Ultimately, the solution will probably involve strengthening the 'core' abdominal muscles, which will take the pressure off the afflicted area.

The things that are most likely to help are any excercises which build up cors strength WITHOUT putting undue strain or impact on anything. Swimming is ideal, and is what has sorted me out on 3 occasions. Walking long distances in sand helps a great deal as well. Be very aware of your posture. Worth stripping down and having a look at yourself in a full length mirror - you will usually be able to see that you're posture is out of alignment (one shoulder higher, hips slightly twsited, something like that).

It is utter agony - NOTHING comes close (and I have had some very nasty injuries over the years).

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    Think i might have damaged myself!
    2 weeks ago i was dropping off a Red Stag to the dealers, this involves reversing my Hilux to the scales, once the tail gate is dropped its a case of dragging the animal across as the weigh plate is at the same height as the tail gate. But, you have to balance the deer, it started to slip off (it would have been a nightmare getting it back on) and i grabbed for it and it took all my strength at a less than ideal lift position, nothing obvious at the time, just some muscle ache the next day, but 2 days later real trouble.
    Started with stiff neck, then shoulders and a stabbing pain between my shoulder blades, so i have put up with it for 10 days living on paracetamol and ibuprofen and no change, off to the doctors tomorrow to see if anything can be done.
    But, it isn't going to stop me stalking!
    Cheers
    ​Richard
    been there done that, got the Tee shirt get someone (osteo,Chiro, Physio your choice, I prefer Osteopaths) to have a look to see if there is anything out of position, you can see your GP ,but I never had any joy from them... I found Volterol and Valium were the best combination, as the Valium relaxes the spasms in the muscles and the Volterol reduces the inflammation (strangely I had to suggest this combo to the GP,he was happy to keep prescribing the same stuff that didn't work the first couple of times my back got bad, including Tramadol which you really don't want!)
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    get a MRI scan done, and don't let anyone near you until you do bud. been there with my lower back L4,5 and 6 fusion and with my neck c 2,3 and 4 replaced with unobtainium disc's and an unobtainium plate and 6 unobtainium screws and have the scares and discomfort to prove it. don't mess with your back let the people that know what's what deal with it, 2 years off the road is not where anyone wants to be. bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube