brace yourself! the MSP's are looking for something to do

That figure is the best Guestimate at the moment but SNH are working on a system to count the deer shot across the central belt.

I do hope at the meeting they reframe for quoting figures about death rates that include England shire it gets a bit tiresome and has no relevance on what happens up here.

Last edited:
Somebody needs a new calculator!

"3,500 tonnes of venison, of which 3,450 tonnes come from wild deer.
The annual value of venison sales is approximately £2 million and processing of downstream products may be worth a further £8 million."

3450 tonnes at 1000 kg per tonne
= 3,450,000

even scaling game dealer prices down to £1 per kg they are out by almost 100%!!
make it more sensible like £2 a KG and they are out by £5m at the game dealer let alone what the big boys are making over the counter at the supermarkey

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefingsAndFactsheets/S4/SB_13-74.pdf

Last edited:
The figure is a guesstimate, but having seen the figure for those that were officially sold through dealers (admittedly a couple of years out of date) allowing for those not sold own use or what ever the quoted figure should not be that far off.

As long as that nitwit McAskill does not get involved, because, if he does, we are in BIG trouble. The man is a menace!

Last edited:
Boggy its own use ones that would change the figures dramatically. How many are shot by clients and the client wants the beast i would say those would not go through a dealer or in a book for that matter.Own use when shot by your self well were i am most stalkers shoot about 10 - 20 deer and use them all there self not a lot of deer you would think till you x that by a few of thousand stalkers.

Boggy its own use ones that would change the figures dramatically. How many are shot by clients and the client wants the beast i would say those would not go through a dealer or in a book for that matter.Own use when shot by your self well were i am most stalkers shoot about 10 - 20 deer and use them all there self not a lot of deer you would think till you x that by a few of thousand stalkers.
100% correct Davie strictly speaking all these beasts should be recorded whether sold or not if you have a lease your cull figures should be going to the Landowner so that they can be made available to S.N.H. even as individuals we are required to keep records of beasts culled realistically there can be all sort of reasons why someone might wish to be economical with cull numbers, from the tax man to not wanting a landowner to know the true figures for fear of a rent increase. As they say paper can take on anything including s@@@e

Back