Thread: Stalking gear

Stalking gear

Hi
    Could do with buying some new stalking gear / clothing.......actually I may ask the Mrs to buy it for Christmas. Looking for something mid range in price but hard-wearing, good waterproof, warm etc......anyone any advice of brand to buy, where to buy and get the best prices?

Save your cash to spend on stalking trips. If you are mostly doing forestry or lowland stalking then get yourself a mil surplus windproof smock and wash some waterproofing into it. For really wet days add a German flecktarn or British DPM Gore-Tex (again mil surplus - I paid 13 for my flecktarn one) and wear the gore-Tex layer UNDER the windproof smock so you keep all your pockets etc. With just the smock you'll be pretty waterproof and very breathable so no problems with getting wet from the inside so you'll be warmer than in a gore-tex shell and on the very bad days the gore-tex layer will leave you 100% waterproof. You'll simply not find a better clothing system for woodland/lowland stalking no matter what you pay for it.

Don't pay big money for the smock - you do see people looking 150 for them on ebay!!! Pay around 10 - 15, just keep bidding on ones with a low starting price until you get one. At that price you'd be mad not to give it a try before you spend a fortune on an expensive clothing system that simply will not work as well and if you don't like it you can stick it back on ebay and get your money back. A win-win situation all around.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

You could try sportsman gun centre some **** hot bargains bazil

I have a Ridgeline jacket....great value.....not happy with the trousers though...too noisy when stalking.

John Norris of Penrith always have good offers, part

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    Save your cash to spend on stalking trips. If you are mostly doing forestry or lowland stalking then get yourself a mil surplus windproof smock and wash some waterproofing into it. For really wet days add a German flecktarn or British DPM Gore-Tex (again mil surplus - I paid 13 for my flecktarn one) and wear the gore-Tex layer UNDER the windproof smock so you keep all your pockets etc. With just the smock you'll be pretty waterproof and very breathable so no problems with getting wet from the inside so you'll be warmer than in a gore-tex shell and on the very bad days the gore-tex layer will leave you 100% waterproof. You'll simply not find a better clothing system for woodland/lowland stalking no matter what you pay for it.

Don't pay big money for the smock - you do see people looking 150 for them on ebay!!! Pay around 10 - 15, just keep bidding on ones with a low starting price until you get one. At that price you'd be mad not to give it a try before you spend a fortune on an expensive clothing system that simply will not work as well and if you don't like it you can stick it back on ebay and get your money back. A win-win situation all around.
    got 2 goretex jackets and two field jackets (german army) 16 euro for the jackets and 21 for the goretex....

here is a site I ordered some stuff from... It's in german, but I emailed them and they speak english and say they ship to EU countries.... I'm a fish from the back kinda guy so the prices are real nice.....
    Went on a hunt Saturday with a lot of folks.... German and American.... It was funny to see the Americans with fancy German/European named stuff and the Germans with American stuff... I like the traditional type stuff (green wool coats and ponchos, hats, etc) but the prices are outrageous.....

http://www.bw-discount.de/contents/d...schuhe_01.html