Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Loch Lomond Goats and RSPB

Loch Lomond Goats and RSPB

I see on BBC Reporting Scotland this evening that the RSPB want to cull the gotas at Inversnaid on Loch Lomondside. The reason being that there numbers have reached such a level that they are now having a negative impact on the biodiversity of the area. Obviously this must be impacting on the bird population of the area too hence their claim. Apparently, there are about 60 of these animals and they wish to cull about half of them.

Well. scientifically, if that is what is required to save the biodiversity as they claim, then so be it. However, I do find the RSPB being somewhat hypocritical as it has been proven, scientifically, that certain raptors such as Harriers are having a negative impact on moorland birds and Buzzards are reeking havack among lowland birds. Can we have a cull on these raptors? MOST CERTAINLY NOT..............

A rather disillusioned Donsider

Quite ironic really when their ad says "give nature a home".

Quote Originally Posted by news of the world View Post
    Quite ironic really when their ad says "give nature a home".
    What they miss out is this:-

"give nature that we like a home"

The rest can go to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    What they miss out is this:-

"give nature that we like a home"

The rest can go to hell.

​Exactly

Goats are not native, are notoriously destructive, and are not in any way threatened.

Hen harriers, buzzards etc are native, in many areas have fragile populations, and are only damaging to prey populations when those populations are already under severe pressure as a result of human actions (habitat removal, restriction of food supply, etc). It is frankly laughable to blame them for songbird decline - it's like saying that the Titanic sank because the bilge pumps weren't good enough.

Though I agree that the RSPB are often incapable of articulating a coherent management approach, the same is just as true of the organisations which represent field sports interests.

Certain species of birds of prey have certainly had a contributing input into the decline of songbirds specifically sparrowhawks and I would say that the time when buzzards had a fragile population is well gone.
    I do believe that there is now legitimate grounds for some sort of control on some species of birds of prey but the RSPB will fight that tooth and nail as hooked beaks are heir flagship species.
    I do think the OP was actually having a dig because it does seem somewhat ironic to support the slaughter of one species (whether native or not) to benefit another on one hand but be so dead set against it when it suits.
    Don't forget the RSPB also support the control of gulls,corvids and other species when it suits.

Quote Originally Posted by perdix View Post
    I do think the OP was actually having a dig because it does seem somewhat ironic to support the slaughter of one species (whether native or not) to benefit another on one hand but be so dead set against it when it suits.
    Yes - you're absolutely right.

However, selective logic is not just the preserve of organisations like the RSPB - stalking and shooting organisations are equally guilty.

Since we use population control as a justification to persuade an increasingly sceptical public that stalking is acceptable, we should be pleased and supportive whenever an organisation such as this publicly endorses it.

Quote Originally Posted by donsider View Post
    Buzzards are reeking havack among lowland birds. Can we have a cull on these raptors? MOST CERTAINLY NOT..............
    Which species of lowland birds are buzzards 'reeking havack' on please?

Seen them take plenty of young grey partridge and duck.