Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 270 Weatherby Magnum

270 Weatherby Magnum

I can see that the .270 Win is a popular calibre on reds in the UK. Does anyone use a 270 WBY though?

I bought a Sauer 202 in 270 WBY MAG from a mate a while back and I've found it to be an excellent mid range calibre on Rusa deer (similar size to a red). The bullets arent cheap though!

​What are your thoughts?

I doubt if there is more than a handful of .270wby in the country mate, I can't ever recall knowing of anyone who owns one though I have a vague recollection of someone on this site mentioning one in the past. Bullets would not be a problem but ammunition certainly would and is probably as available as unicorn poo. None of the Weatherby calibres ever really caught on in this country though I do know a few guys with Weatherby rifles both the genuine article and the ones now made by Howa.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Despite all the Hype in the USA over Weatherby the British shooters never fell for it. Ole Roy was a good salesman but basically all the ideas on the Weatherby cartridges were nicked from elsewhere. I don't think there is anything original in anything he did.

At the Reepham Club I used to belong too a chap there had a rather nice looking Weatherby rifle but it was in the plain ole 270 Winchester and I can honestly say it was the nicest Weatherby I have ever seen. It seemed to shoot well too. Before moving up here the Club secretary down south had a Vangaurd in .223 on which every so many rounds he had to strip th bolt to remove the little discs of primer cup which it punched out and the importers said nothing wrong with the rifle.

Thanks for your replies. I wouldn't say that the WBY calibre's are especially popular over here either: although they do have a following. I certainly wouldn't have entertained the idea of buying a Sauer in that calibre if the rifle wasn't immaculate (like new) and the price was a steal. I suppose it accidentally worked out.
    Of course the notion was that if I didn't like the calibre I'd just change the barrel for a another calibre (which is the benefit of Sauer 202's). Its performed particularly well so far, but that said; I use it maybe one or twice a year so the expense of the rounds hasn't killed me entirely or prohibited me from using it. Incidentally the last box I bought were $130 (20) on sale….
    Brithunter: I haven't used a WBY rifle or know anyone who uses one to be frank. I do somehow recall them being advertised fairly cheaply a decade ago though. I presume theres a link to the price and performance of the rifle in this matter?

Can't help viewing the Weatherby line up as one for the young of both hormones and mind with their muscular appearance and macho statistics.

I still have a 300 Weatherby Magnum as proof of such!

K

As to that problem one it was the one with the black plastic stock and it punched little holes in the primers no matter what make of ammo or primer was used. Roger got very adept at stripping the bolt to clean them out. Another club member bought one but his had no such issues and again it was in .223. In fact Roger got it for him through his RFD ticket.

Over the years I have shot a number of Weatherby rifles in various chamberings and frankly I cannot see what the hype is about.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    frankly I cannot see what the hype is about.
    Mostly a result of this kind of thing back in the day:

K

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Despite all the Hype in the USA over Weatherby the British shooters never fell for it. Ole Roy was a good salesman but basically all the ideas on the Weatherby cartridges were nicked from elsewhere. I don't think there is anything original in anything he did.

At the Reepham Club I used to belong too a chap there had a rather nice looking Weatherby rifle but it was in the plain ole 270 Winchester and I can honestly say it was the nicest Weatherby I have ever seen. It seemed to shoot well too. Before moving up here the Club secretary down south had a Vangaurd in .223 on which every so many rounds he had to strip th bolt to remove the little discs of primer cup which it punched out and the importers said nothing wrong with the rifle.
    Ah Kevin. I just love your jags about American gun makers stealing ideas from other makers. If you look at it with an open mind though, you'll find that there are just so many ways you can produce a tool for removing a screw and they all end up looking like a screwdriver, no matter who makes them or where. It is much the same in gunmaking.

Not a fan of Weatherby rifles or cartridges tho the 460 WBY is both powerful and accurate. The smaller bore cartridges are hugely over bore, expensive, and not worth the price when weighed against performance. JMHO, of course.~Muir

I've got to say that I'm an admirer of the pukka Weatherby Mark V action which is available in Lefthand, and of unmatched strength. Not so sure about the off beam stock styling, but the high comb is an excellent fit. I like Monte Carlo butts rather than straight Classic.

The cartridges aren't particularly overbore in the .270 WBY, and 7mm WBY compared to 7mm RM, but they are expensive. The smaller & larger calibres are just OTT. I gather that the Vanguard 2-lug mauser (Howa look-alike) couldn't handle the WM cartridges, and the ammo packaging warned against trying this at one time.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

I have never owned a Weatherby Magnum. I can remember a client that I had for a week who used one. I cant really remember exactly how many deer he shot but it was in the region of 8-10. However I can remember for sure that he only shot one deer correctly. That is to say the rest of them had to be followed up with the dog or I had to dispatch by shooting with a second shot. As they say its not the size of your weapon but its how you use it.