Thread: Possible change of firearms legislation in Northern Ireland

Possible change of firearms legislation in Northern Ireland

I read this story this morning and at first sight it looks like they're perhaps showing more sense in Northern Ireland than some politicians in Scotland, maybe?

http://www.u.tv/News/Children-to-be-...2-5288558f44ab

But, as I read the story it reminded me that in Northern Ireland even air rifle ownership requires an FAC (air pistols are illegal there) - I had forgotten the hoops I used to jump through "back home" when I acquired my first shotgun. Even my dad, bless him, had to apply for an FAC just so he could supervise me.
    I think the story demonstrates the lack of alignment within the UK on firearms legislation but at least it shows that not all police or politicians - even in a place with the sort of history that Northern Ireland has - are anti-firearms, thank goodness.
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

agree as a part of the uk its a shambles , i can still go over to banger and shoot sec 5 pistols transported to the range from holywell nick !

Aye it's a madness right enough paul o'
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

It is, as always, a case of swings and roundabouts however BASC, who were the driving force behind the age change, are doing a lot of work to try and make licencing in NI much more sensible and this is the first success for the current crop of changes they want to see. While most people are only interested in shooting organisations for how cheap their insurance is it is political work like this, often behind the scenes and often taking years of seemingly no progress, that allows us to continue shooting and, in this case, even increases the number of people who can shoot. I suspect that it also helps that NI has a considerable rural population and so politicians and the general population have a more realistic view of shooting, and the need for shooting, than in most of the rest of the UK. I guess that the people of NI also have a little more perspective on the shooting issue in the sense that they understand that bad people having guns is a bad thing and the law can do nothing about it whereas decent people having them causes no problem to anyone and the law should leave them alone and concentrate on the bad people.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Good post caorach, well said

well said but it did't work in all parts of the gb/uk only the bad were able to keep their guns seems all arse and about to me lol

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    It is, as always, a case of swings and roundabouts however BASC, who were the driving force behind the age change, are doing a lot of work to try and make licencing in NI much more sensible and this is the first success for the current crop of changes they want to see. While most people are only interested in shooting organisations for how cheap their insurance is it is political work like this, often behind the scenes and often taking years of seemingly no progress, that allows us to continue shooting and, in this case, even increases the number of people who can shoot. I suspect that it also helps that NI has a considerable rural population and so politicians and the general population have a more realistic view of shooting, and the need for shooting, than in most of the rest of the UK. I guess that the people of NI also have a little more perspective on the shooting issue in the sense that they understand that bad people having guns is a bad thing and the law can do nothing about it whereas decent people having them causes no problem to anyone and the law should leave them alone and concentrate on the bad people.