Thread: T3 Lite 243 Factory Ammo

T3 Lite 243 Factory Ammo

Sorry if this subject has been covered before.
    My son has just bought a new T3 Lite in 243win, he has zeroed the rifle using Sako 100 grain Gamehead and was very happy with the grouping, until he chronographed the rounds and found they were only doing approx 2350.
    From our calculations this was well down on requirements to be a Roe Deer legal round.
    Any advise on factory ammo would be apprieciated as he doesn't want to get into reloading at this time
    Limey

Seems very low maybe chrono problem?

One solution to check the velocity is to zero at 100 then shoot at 300.... measure the drop and plenty of ballistic programs will give you the true velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by Double0gorgeous View Post
    Seems very low maybe chrono problem?

One solution to check the velocity is to zero at 100 then shoot at 300.... measure the drop and plenty of ballistic programs will give you the true velocity.
    The chrono was checked against other rounds through different rifles.
    Only 100m range available
    Thanks
    Limey

Quote Originally Posted by limey View Post
    Sorry if this subject has been covered before.
    My son has just bought a new T3 Lite in 243win, he has zeroed the rifle using Sako 100 grain Gamehead and was very happy with the grouping, until he chronographed the rounds and found they were only doing approx 2350.
    From our calculations this was well down on requirements to be a Roe Deer legal round.
    Any advise on factory ammo would be apprieciated as he doesn't want to get into reloading at this time
    Limey
    ]
    will a deer know any difference with one stuck in its ribs ??? I don't think so.if they shoot that's all that matters.
    personally I would check your chrono as it does seem very low,I have the very lastet magntospeed chrono your welcome to pop down and fire a few through it in my workshop just for piece of mind

Quote Originally Posted by see it shoot it View Post
    ]
    will a deer know any difference with one stuck in its ribs ??? I don't think so.if they shoot that's all that matters.
    personally I would check your chrono as it does seem very low,I have the very lastet magntospeed chrono your welcome to pop down and fire a few through it in my workshop just for piece of mind
    Thanks for the offer of the use of the chrono.
    I know what you mean about the deer not knowing the difference, but my son has just got his FAC and started stalking so he wants to be 100% legit
    Limey

Hopefully trying another chrono and rounds at the weekend

Just for info, my father bought one of these rifles a few years ago, and is very please with it. We tested factory rounds, getting approx average MV as follows:
    Privi 90gr SP 2900fps
    RWS 100gr SP 2950fps
    Norma 100gr SP 2800fps
    GECO 105gr SP 3020fps

Norma were the slowest (though not as slow as through yours!) but also the most accurate (0.5" at 100yds)
    GECO were rather surprisingly the pokiest, and still came in at about 1". Also, only 20 a box (or they were then, at least).

I hope that's of some interest, if not of much use!

As has been pointed out, the 100gr bullets at 2350fps from your rifle will probably not bounce off deer, but quite aside from the legality of the matter the recorded velocity does seem to me astonishingly low.
    Last edited by Dalua; 12-11-2013 at 20:46.

Thanks Dalua
    My son is very happy with the rifle and the groups he gets.
    I think he is more dissapointed with the Sako ammo velocity, after all it was the most expensive (27.50 per 20), so he thought it would be the best for his new rifle.
    We will try different rounds at the weekend.
    Federal Powershock 100 grain and RWS 100 grain SP.
    Thanks for the input fellas
    Limey