Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nervous about shortening a Brno ZKK601 .243

Nervous about shortening a Brno ZKK601 .243

Hi chaps,
    I have a ZKK601 in .243 and when the T8 mod is fitted is a right long beast. I also have a .308 which is 2" shorter and just seems all together better balanced and easier to handle. The .243 gets used the most and I was thinking of getting it shortened to the same overall length as the .308 but how might it affect the accuracy, if at all?

I just feel it would be a better rifle for me shortened as I use it stalking, in the high seat and also foxing from my motor but am concerned about taking the plunge.

Anyone any thoughts?

Cheers

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Chop it to 20", job done, never noticed any issues.

plus one get a good crown job done at sametime

on the side
    james you very stacked with work as i could do with a paint job on the sako 85 saw SA Shooter's rifle in one colour in a ceracoat
    Last edited by paul o'; 12-11-2013 at 16:49.

Nervouse about shortening barrel

Got the same thoughts with my Steyr Prohunter in .243, standard barrel length. Got an early Wildcat Moddy from Andy Banner (RIP). Great combo but a bit unwieldy. When out with the bipod on you have to carry barrel down whether you like it or not. The weight at the end of the barrel means it is the only way.

Minimum length and still good for fox and deer anyone?

(Use 70gn TNT for Fox (reloads) and 100gn Factory RWS for the larger stuff)

Apologies to OP if this hasn't helped his quest

Ade

You will lose velocity by cutting the barrel shorter. I would put your ammo over a chronograph first to see what velocity you are getting. Some 243s struggle to reach legal velocity so I would check this before doing anything.

You will lose about 20fps per inch you chop off, so on a 243. It's bugger all to worry about.

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by leec6.5 View Post
    You will lose about 20fps per inch you chop off, so on a 243. It's bugger all to worry about.
    As said with no fuss.

Try a lighter reflex mod or two on the end before you go to the expense of chopping it.
    I have one rifle with a 24" barrel and a light atec maxim on the end and another with a 20" barrel and a steel moddy.
    the longer one actually handles better due to the weight distribution being better.

​just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Ade8mm View Post
    Got the same thoughts with my Steyr Prohunter in .243, standard barrel length. Got an early Wildcat Moddy from Andy Banner (RIP). Great combo but a bit unwieldy. When out with the bipod on you have to carry barrel down whether you like it or not. The weight at the end of the barrel means it is the only way. Minimum length and still good for fox and deer anyone? (Use 70gn TNT for Fox (reloads) and 100gn Factory RWS for the larger stuff) Apologies to OP if this hasn't helped his quest Ade
    This is the obvious drawback by putting an additional lump of metal on the end of a barrel. If I don't have to I don't use them. Most moderators weigh more than a couple of inches of barrel so if it bothers you that much I would get rid of it. I carry all my 'stalking' rifles muzzle down anyway imo it is safer and easier to control where your muzzle is pointing.

I do recognise the advantages though. I have a heavy barrel .308 cut down to 18 inches with a ASE Jet Z on it. It is like an air rifle to shoot. It is fairly well balanced considering but I don't consider it as a stalking rifle and put up with the extra weight when I take it stalking. Having tailored a load by handloading for it so I am not loosing too much velocity but .308 is more versatile than .243.

I am planning on cutting my .222 even further.
    it needs another 3-4" off to be perfect IMO
    ​its about 22" now