Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What stalking rifle would you buy for under 2000

Cool What stalking rifle would you buy for under 2000

Evening Gents,

I am in the process of shopping for my first 308 rifle which will be my stalking rifle from now on, i have been window shopping for a few weeks and during that time have been seriously considering Tikka T3 and Vanguard S2 rifles, but every time i think i have made my mind up i read something which only further confuses me.

I was always under the impression that Weatherby Rifles were of a high quality, however from what ive started reading today many people consider them, especially the S1 series to be budget rifles. The S2 promises sub MOA groups but I cannot find anyone here in the UK whos actually shot a Vanguard S2 to give me an opinion,where as Tikka users are everywhere and ive have had some very strong recommendations from a couple of people for the Tikkas which are far as i'm aware have a great reputation for out of the box accuracy and performance. I think they are a safe bet, im not particularly in love with how they look but that is 2nd to performance to me...

Id rather spend a lot now in exchange for an excellent rifle that will last and perform at the top of its group that i can treasure and keep as long as i need it..... so what im asking is if you could chose any rifle, chambered in .308, readily available in the UK with a budget of up to 2000 what would you choose ???

thanking you in advance!

Tim
    Last edited by Evillemon; 12-11-2013 at 18:41.

Sako !

Tuppleware 3 is accurate but 595/6 was a better rifle. Also make sure you but a stainless synthetic for stalking

I can't imagine subjecting any rifle to the ravages of stalking if it costs more than 500.
    I use a secondhand T3 which is now in 7mm-08. The scope is a Leupold VX1 which has got to go as it is not good enough in low light - I reckon 500 will get me a very useful secondhand scope.
    So all up absolutely no more than a grand.

Were i looking for something nice and not just a tool i would be ringing Fox Firearms and enquiring how much a Cooper Arms would cost me. Very accurate Rifles and to my eyes very pretty.

Yorkie.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgyrog View Post
    I can't imagine subjecting any rifle to the ravages of stalking if it costs more than 500.
    I use a secondhand T3 which is now in 7mm-08. The scope is a Leupold VX1 which has got to go as it is not good enough in low light - I reckon 500 will get me a very useful secondhand scope.
    So all up absolutely no more than a grand.
    How did you manage to but a T3 with less than 400 shot count and rebarrel it all for less than 500 ? My last quote was 600 just for a barrel and fitting.

Sako 75 Stainless

If you can't find one in .308, then find one in Action III (.22-250, .243, 7mm-08) and rebarrel it
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means youve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks for the replies gents, i remember looking at Cooper rifles a long time ago but id forgotten about them till you reminded me. Might go and have a little look at them online.

Ive never really looked at the SAKO rifles after a friend had a lot of trouble with one years back, but i think i will go look at them again now ..

This is the Vanguard which ive been looking at the Sportsmanguncentre

Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 RC - Guns - Gun Shop, Shotguns, Rifles, Pistols, Air Rifles, Airguns, Gun Trader, Rifle Scopes, Accessories, Cabinets, Safes in Dorset and Devon, UK, Sportsman Gun Centre
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 84fabed2a7ddb16803076481.jpg   84fabed2a7ddb16803076482.jpg  
    Last edited by Evillemon; 12-11-2013 at 19:01.

For 2k I'd be considering a semi custom probably based on a rem 700 or sako75 or maybe a tikka ?
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

My T3 was bought second hand with a sub 200 round count with P8 mod, Leupold bases and rings for 550. It is pretty much brand new but a huge saving on new so if you don't mind pre owned then I'd recommend looking in the classifieds.

Im not at all against 2nd hand rifles, my .223 was 2nd hand but turned up like it was brand new out of the box - saved me 400