Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: giving up

giving up

I would just like to thank,a real gent after my invite off I went "down south".Stunning scenery,I was placed in the pound seat,lots of deer taken from this position in the last few days,my host took a deer late evening,from a portable seat which he had placed in a position not noted to produce.
    To be honest I was glad just to be in the game.
    Next morning we were out again,this time only one gun[mine] as Highseat 6.5 decided I would get amongst them,we made our way to the double seat,still dark but enough to see,a few does in a small corner ot the wood which was in front of us.
    As we where waiting for a clean shot and maybe a bit more light,we saw a beatiful buck come up the fence to join them,then I suffered from one of those belt and bracers moments.
    I should add that my host would have had him,and several others,but he has vast experience and taken a vast amount of deer,the buck was fished tailed and limping but he had my nerves going.
    Thank you and your good wife so much and I will be back,with a decent scope that doesnt fog up seeing so many deer,has made me want to keep at it,lovely people.cheers Highset 6.5.

Glad you enjoyed your trip down south , your welcome back any time ...you can never do wrong by not squeezing the trigger . Top man !!

Quote Originally Posted by tony rentokil View Post
    I would just like to thank,a real gent after my invite off I went "down south".Stunning scenery,I was placed in the pound seat,lots of deer taken from this position in the last few days,my host took a deer late evening,from a portable seat which he had placed in a position not noted to produce.
    To be honest I was glad just to be in the game.
    Next morning we were out again,this time only one gun[mine] as Highseat 6.5 decided I would get amongst them,we made our way to the double seat,still dark but enough to see,a few does in a small corner ot the wood which was in front of us.
    As we where waiting for a clean shot and maybe a bit more light,we saw a beatiful buck come up the fence to join them,then I suffered from one of those belt and bracers moments.
    I should add that my host would have had him,and several others,but he has vast experience and taken a vast amount of deer,the buck was fished tailed and limping but he had my nerves going.
    Thank you and your good wife so much and I will be back,with a decent scope that doesnt fog up seeing so many deer,has made me want to keep at it,lovely people.cheers Highset 6.5.
    Hi Tony,
    Sounds like you had a great time and have come to the right decision. It just goes to show there is indeed a small core of very generous people on this site who will go out of their way to help you. Regarding your pursuit of permmisions, I am in exactly the same boat and have been for the last eight years since moving to Shropshire. We love it here but it is certainly hard to get in anywhere, I am lucky that I get taken out by a friend occaisionaly and get to go on another good friends land in Hertfordshire. I am not in a position to offer taking you out with me but I will carry on looking bearing you in mind. Who knows, we may be able to form a Shropshire DMG. More than likely no chance, however positive thinking has to be the buzzword. Remember the words of the late Ian Dury. REASONS TO BE CHEERFUL. Highseat6.5 has shown that there are indeed.

Good luck,
    John.
    Last edited by vizslamad; 13-11-2013 at 18:47.

Sounds a good idea Shropshire DMG, I would be interested in joining????

+1 for the Shroppy DMG.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

Quote Originally Posted by charadam View Post
    +1 for the Shroppy DMG.
    Only one small stumbling block so far. We will need the deer to manage. One for the future I think. That is if all the keepers don't wipe them out round here for pocket money.

Me too,can you start a DMG,when there are no deer in this county

There are deer in this county, the Wrekin, Buildwas, and 28 miles of the Wenlock edge the deer highway. its just getting to know who owns the land???

Bonnie I know mate,It was a tongue in cheek remark,I suppose we could have a shropshire meet up in the pub,assuming their we could agree on a central location for all.
    Any ideas.Tod.

Shropshire has had alot of poaching over the years one very well known poacher and his mates in the Telford area and one over towards Hereford again with his mates who have had a big impact on the deer numbers anyone remember what happened at Broseley? huge numbers of roe where taken on one estate and the neighbouring land very rarely see's any deer now, theres a transient population of fallow that move around the much wenlock area and over towards Iron bridge and Buildwas but theres still alot of lamping going on but now they are using NV to good affect sadly.

Only recently 3 lads were stopped with 3 deer in their vehicle taken off of the wrekin by the police.

Alot of land is tied up with game shooting so is very protected by game shooters and the Wheatland Hunt still have alot of clout in what goes on in the area.

Good luck guys...
    Last edited by patjack; 13-11-2013 at 20:44.