Thread: Double hatted rifles

Double hatted rifles

I have a t3 Lite in 308 which quite happily puts out thumbnail groups with Sako 123. The problem is that after 3 rounds the barrel is so hot that the heat haze means thou can't really see the target through the scope. Waiting for the thing to cool down is a PITA.

I am looking for a rifle to double hat use on the range and on deer. Being a cheapskate that appeals to me, but the 223 ammo works out pretty cheap if you use militarily ball. I've seen it at £23 for 100 rounds. And I like my t3 Lite 308. Another t3 Lite in 223 would be good, but I am concerned that the barrel will heat up in the same way as the 308. Does it?

So….308 heavy barrel for the range and possibly deer? Thinking of a T3 Varmint or TAC? 223 Lite or heavy barrel? Or just find a Lee Enfield 303 and blast away with that? Or get another 308 for the range….decision,decisions...

Thoughts and experiences appreciated.

Yes I know there is a No4(T) for sale in Fultons at Bisley, but that is way out of my price league!

Quote Originally Posted by Wilf102 View Post
    I have a t3 Lite in 308 which quite happily puts out thumbnail groups with Sako 123. The problem is that after 3 rounds the barrel is so hot that the heat haze means thou can't really see the target through the scope. Waiting for the thing to cool down is a PITA.

I am looking for a rifle to double hat use on the range and on deer. Being a cheapskate that appeals to me, but the 223 ammo works out pretty cheap if you use militarily ball. I've seen it at £23 for 100 rounds. And I like my t3 Lite 308. Another t3 Lite in 223 would be good, but I am concerned that the barrel will heat up in the same way as the 308. Does it?

So….308 heavy barrel for the range and possibly deer? Thinking of a T3 Varmint or TAC? 223 Lite or heavy barrel? Or just find a Lee Enfield 303 and blast away with that? Or get another 308 for the range….decision,decisions...

Thoughts and experiences appreciated.

Yes I know there is a No4(T) for sale in Fultons at Bisley, but that is way out of my price league!
    This past September I shot my T-3 Lite 7mm-08 til it was flesh burning hot and kept going. The grouping didn't change. Remember: Heavy barrels get exposed to the same heat as light barrels. It just takes longer for you to feel it. If the grouping doesn't go to pot,just keep your fingers off the metal and carry on.

That said, on the range just take a break. For deer?? it's a lucky man that can heat up his T-3 shooting deer. ~Muir

why over use your stalking rifle for range work yup it will do the job me i'v got a few so the sako only is used for stalking and thats why iam up at silly oclock for a 4hr drive to hungerford

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    why over use your stalking rifle for range work yup it will do the job me i'v got a few so the sako only is used for stalking and thats why iam up at silly oclock for a 4hr drive to hungerford
    Over use one or the other -but it takes a lot of ammo to overuse a hunting rifle. I hear you on the drive. I'm going whitetail hunting tomorrow: eight hours each way. We're all crazy.~Muir

Perhaps a more sensible scope may help.

I have noticed that the large objective high magnification scopes suffer more from mirage than a smaller scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Perhaps a more sensible scope may help.

I have noticed that the large objective high magnification scopes suffer more from mirage than a smaller scope.
    S&B 6x42. And it wasn't a hot day...

Heavy barrel 308 will do everything, did I see that Sportsman were selling off a load of Remmies now Edgar Bros have stopped importing them???

Quote Originally Posted by Wilf102 View Post
    S&B 6x42. And it wasn't a hot day...
    Hmmmm interesting. Thank you one could hardly get more "sensible" than that now.

Now I gather the T3 Lite does not have a fore sight? If it did then perhaps a mirage band would be the answer. Not sure how one could be retained without a fore sight though.

Wilf
    Are you using a moderator on the range? - If you are you would probably find you'd get less mirage if you shot without it. (Or you could put a cover on it to slow down the heat dissipation)

Ian