Thread: valuing a rifle

valuing a rifle

Would be very grateful for any input...

I'm toying with the idea of selling my Tikka T3 Hunter in .222 in order to upgrade to a .222 with a true small action.

The rifle is 2 years old, in perfect condition, with a round count in the region of 300.

Does anyone have an idea what it is likely to sell for? There is nothing directly equivalent on Guntrader at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post

I'm toying with the idea of selling my Tikka T3 Hunter in .222 in order to upgrade to a .222 with a true small action.

The rifle is 2 years old, in perfect condition, with a round count in the region of 300.

Does anyone have an idea what it is likely to sell for? There is nothing directly equivalent on Guntrader at the moment.
    Have you tried Gunstar?

EDIT - Did it for you, here's one - http://www.gunstar.co.uk/tikka-t3-hu.../rifles/630420

Regards,

Gixer
    Last edited by gixer1; 13-11-2013 at 10:28.

Problem is the market is going up and down about as often as a "whores Nickers".

I have been asked for prices on a couple on my collection and it's a bit of a nightmare trying to figure out where the market is right now.

Unmarked and borescoped to confirm barrel bore youd be looking at 600 private sale at the very very best and 3-400 maybe on a trade.(at best)

Great - thanks very much folks. Very much appreciated.

Never used Gunstar before - maybe I should start!

Take the typical retail price, knock off 20% for vat, plus another say 10% for loss of newness. Bottom line price for most rifles is c300 for the action as a basis of a custom rifle. Take a straight line between the two and depreciate on the basis of use / age.

Hi Mungo,

I bought a second hand t3 hunter 222 2 years ago, similar age and roundcount to what you are offering and i paid 600 for rifle, t8 and optiloks.

Hope that helps BB

To paraphrase Craig Boddington's Safari Rifles where he gives a good basis for valuing a double rifle.

Take a good all round bolt action rifle and 2nd value is at a base level of 600 to 700. If it was originally a low end budget rifle, half that value, if it was a deluxe version of a pretty standard rifle then add on 200. If it was a premium factory brand double that. Top end gentleman's rifle (Rigby etc) or good custom rifle ( eg Calum Ferguson) then treble or quadruple that number.

Calibre - a common calibre with easy to get ammo (243, 6.5x55, 308) no change, for the latest must have calibre add 100, for a non sexy calibre knock off 100 or even 200. An obsolete / wildcat / or home loading only to make legal, probably knock of 200 or 300, unless a) the buyer is really looking for it or b) it has sufficient ammo, cases and dies to keep it going for several seasons.

Optics and mounts - add 100 to 200 for a good German / Austrian fixed scope and mounts. For a all sing and dancing zoom add 500 to 600. For lower brand optics probably no additional value, but possibly makes it easier to sell.

Other accessories - eg bipods and moderators, again probably don't add much value, but like a scope can make a package.

Left hand - don't know - may add or detract value depend on who the buyer or seller is.

At the end of the day value is very subjective, but rifles for most dealers are pretty slow moving items, so trade in prices versus private sale prices can be quite different

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post

I think you should upgrade to a Sako 75 in .222. I just happen to know where there is a very good example that could be deli ered to Scotland over the next two weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by Glyn 1 View Post
    I think you should upgrade to a Sako 75 in .222. I just happen to know where there is a very good example that could be deli ered to Scotland over the next two weeks!
    Funny, that was one of the rifles I was considering. Tell me more...