Richmond Park

My sister lives down the road the road from the park and there are some cracking beasts there. I know a chap who used to be part of the annual cull.

Jonathon

That made a very pleasant change as I clicked on the link half expecting to find one of the deer had been shot with a catapult and poached or something of that nature

we drove through the park the other day and there were signs advising the cull was currently taking place during the evenings.

I can't imagine the cull is that difficlut seeing how tame the deer are.

sp4rkman said:
I can't imagine the cull is that difficlut seeing how tame the deer are.

It's more to do with the safety aspect - unless they use cyclists, joggers and Mini Coopers as backstops!

For a really professional and enlightening experience, a visit to the Jaegersborg Dyrehave outside Copenhagen takes some beating. I was there for a fallow catch-up (darting), although they also cull with full public access. They maintain around 300 red, 1600 fallow and 100 sika, (culling approx 700 p.a.), and encourage families to participate in their education programmes, which include field slaughter.

Good quality animals obviously with world record fallow and danish record red.
http://www.skovognatur.dk/Udgivelser/Vandretursfoldere/Engelsk/Jaegersborg.htm

Talking about Richmond Park. Showing my age now...I used to run on the road after dark when the park was closed to traffic in the late 60's. I was into rowing in those days so trying to keep fit. The deer would run alongside the road and i was always terrified they would run across me - it really was pitch dark. Bloody hell, i got fit...I was so spooked I ran faster and fast to get back out of the park. Must be some kind of herd behaviour, they just ran alongside - i could hear their feet on the ground but I never saw them

I pick up with the head ranger (as I think his official title is) who's looks after the deer in all the London parks - really nice chap and yep, they finished this year's cull last week.

countrysports5 said:
Talking about Richmond Park. Showing my age now...I used to run on the road after dark when the park was closed to traffic in the late 60's. I was into rowing in those days so trying to keep fit. The deer would run alongside the road and i was always terrified they would run across me - it really was pitch dark. Bloody hell, i got fit...I was so spooked I ran faster and fast to get back out of the park. Must be some kind of herd behaviour, they just ran alongside - i could hear their feet on the ground but I never saw them

That made me laugh, I used to work just outside the gate at the top of Richmond Hill. Late at night I'd chuck my bike over the gate, climb over and ride through the park back to Roehampton Gate. The deer used to frequently run alongside me. First time it happened I'd had quite a few pints and it really freaked me out, I thought they were going to attack.

It recently happened to me again in Ashridge Forest , It was pitch black and a herd of fallow galloped alongside me on the way back from the pub.

Gully said:
countrysports5 said:

That made me laugh, I used to work just outside the gate at the top of Richmond Hill. Late at night I'd chuck my bike over the gate, climb over and ride through the park back to Roehampton Gate. The deer used to frequently run alongside me. First time it happened I'd had quite a few pints and it really freaked me out, I thought they were going to attack.

It recently happened to me again in Ashridge Forest , It was pitch black and a herd of fallow galloped alongside me on the way back from the pub.

Gully
Are you sure it wasn't too many pints :lol:

Back