View Poll Results: Have you checked factory ammo to see if it is deer legal?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - it was legal

    42 42.00%
  • Yes - it was not legal

    2 2.00%
  • No, I've never checked it

    56 56.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: Poll - Have you ever checked your rifle ammo for deer legality?

  1. #1

    Poll - Have you ever checked your rifle ammo for deer legality?

    Have you ever chrono'd your factory ammo to check that it is deer legal?

    If so tell us how it was in your rifle compared to the factory bumf. It'll be interesting to hear of any that were not legal,

    Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

    DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

  2. #2
    Both my deer rifles 30-06 & 6.5 cm with 24" + barrrels have no problem being deer legal as not running those ubber short barrels.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by patjack View Post
    Both my deer rifles 30-06 & 6.5 cm with 24" + barrrels have no problem being deer legal as not running those ubber short barrels.
    Most deer legal calibres will have no problem with homeloads reaching legal requirements. It is generally the lower end which struggle such a those attempting to stoke-up 6mm or .22 Hornet to try and make them deer legal where the problems arise! Also at the other end of the scale where people try and get some kind of massive black powder propelled mortar round to go fast enough!
    An area often overlooked though is other rules that may be broken! For instance, a military gallery range has a muzzle velocity restriction of 3275 fps. Trying to get a small bullet to go fast enough to become deer legal may actually put you over the limit for your local zeroing facility!
    MS

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Most deer legal calibres will have no problem with homeloads reaching legal requirements. It is generally the lower end which struggle such a those attempting to stoke-up 6mm or .22 Hornet to try and make them deer legal where the problems arise! Also at the other end of the scale where people try and get some kind of massive black powder propelled mortar round to go fast enough!
    An area often overlooked though is other rules that may be broken! For instance, a military gallery range has a muzzle velocity restriction of 3275 fps. Trying to get a small bullet to go fast enough to become deer legal may actually put you over the limit for your local zeroing facility!
    MS
    3281 fps/ 1000mps and 4500joules limit, some are 7000joules limit but you need to do hme zeroing before use.

    ​Pete
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

    Home | Varminting UK

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by The tramp View Post
    3281 fps/ 1000mps and 4500joules limit, some are 7000joules limit but you need to do hme zeroing before use.

    ​Pete
    RCO manual edition 5 (April 2011) states 3275ft/sec (1000m/s): muzzle energy - 5160 ft lbs (7000 Joules)

    MS

  6. #6
    I've only ever taken deer (red) in Scotland.
    The slowest factory stuff I've used is GECO 170gr .308 through a 22" barrel - mv about 2500fps. They worked fine.
    RWS 140gr DK in 6.5x55 20ish" barrel made 2550fps, and also worked fine.
    RWS 127gr SP in the same rifle averaged 2540fps, but I've not used them as the rifle didn't shoot them very well.

    The RWS figures were disappointing cf manufacturer's data, until I noticed that the manufacturer uses a 29" barrel when testing - a thing seldom found on a sporting rifle.

  7. #7
    Privis - 6.5x55 - 139g through a 20inch barrel. Some were below 2350fps. By the time I'd checked them I'd already shot a fair number of Reds without incident.

  8. #8
    Keep in mind that hundreds of thousands of red deer were shot with 6.5x 54 Mannlicher, 303, 30-30 and others that are not deer legal given min velocity requirements before they brought in the rules. For that matter many loadings in 9.3x62, 479 nitro, 404, 458etc are not deer legal either.

  9. #9
    I think the point is that it matters not what was used historically, or that there were no problems. The law is unequivocal. You either comply or don't...no grey area.

    ATB

  10. #10
    Should we be doing this on an open forum?

Similar Threads

  1. Rifle make Poll - most popular
    By BunnyDoom in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 20-05-2013, 13:25
  2. Replies: 47
    Last Post: 17-01-2013, 21:06
  3. Poll Part 2 - What is your involvement with Deer?
    By Tackleberry270 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-06-2012, 18:33
  4. Poll - What is your involvement with Deer?
    By Tackleberry270 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 04-06-2012, 19:23
  5. Replies: 65
    Last Post: 12-11-2010, 14:54

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •