Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A couple of questions?

A couple of questions?

Hi chaps,

Two questions, I'm be interested in answers on:

1) do you carry your rifle muzzle up or down? I've seen and used both, I find up more practical, it keeps the muzzle away from dirt and debris but the rifle sits awkward on the sling, esp. With a bipod fitted. Down it sits lovely on the sling and comes to hand easily, but the muzzle often finds all sorts of crap.

2) I understand 1 per 1lb is the going rate for venison at the dealer, but how is that measured? Bare carcass? Gralloched only? What should I expect for an average roe?

Thanks!

1 Muzzle up for me and I've taken the bipods off my stalking/foxin rifles...none of that rolling around in the mud for me
    2 You should be getting more than 1 a 1lb for roe, more like 1.20-1.30/lb, based on head and feet off and gralloched...in the skin. If they try cribbing you on heart/lung shot deer tell them to feck off and shoot them themselves and take your business elsewhere.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Most rifles I carry muzzle up. However if I'm stalking with my .243 Tikka T3 varmint with moderator & bipod as you say it keeps slipping around the shoulder as it's top heavy so I tape up the end of the moderator & carry this one muzzle down. I don't find a great deal of difference really.
    As for Q2 I only shoot for my own consumption + a little I give away to family, friends & landowners where I shoot.
    Wingy

Thanks both.

I should add I only shoot for my own consumption but I'm considering paying the farmer the going rate for each beast shot to keep him sweet?

Muzzle up. Due to long barrel and short legs. I use my .22 muzzle down though. As for venison price I have no idea but go along with the sentiment of they moan about heart lung shot tell them where to stick it

Muzzle up.
    1.25 per lb lardered in their skin

Mark
    Flogging will continue until morale improves

Quote Originally Posted by Adam f View Post
    Hi chaps,

Two questions, I'm be interested in answers on:

1) do you carry your rifle muzzle up or down? I've seen and used both, I find up more practical, it keeps the muzzle away from dirt and debris but the rifle sits awkward on the sling, esp. With a bipod fitted. Down it sits lovely on the sling and comes to hand easily, but the muzzle often finds all sorts of crap.

2) I understand 1 per 1lb is the going rate for venison at the dealer, but how is that measured? Bare carcass? Gralloched only? What should I expect for an average roe?

Thanks!
    In answer to your first questions, when I did my DSC1 I had to carry the rifle muzzle down, as muzzle up was wrong.
    However when I did a Lantra L2 (centerfire/fox control) course I had to carry it muzzle up, as muzzle down was wrong.
    When I did my DSC2 Stalks I always asked my Witness what they preferred me to do, just to be on the safe side

You see where my post is going: It is up to you, carry how you like as long as you are muzzle-aware.
    And why do the different organisations and fire-arms instructors that deliver courses not talk to each other? Hmm.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

When I did dsc1 I was shown all methods and told to choose which ever suited. There are 3 approved methods if I remember rightly. But muzzle awareness is key.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

There are many different Ideas of muzzle up or down on the hill I would tend to use a slip as when a long walk is likely its easier. in long grass or heather when not in sling muzzle up /in woodland or short grass muzzle down one hand holding fore end that way rifle sits below head and does not catch on branches etc and less movement is needed to mount rifle when deer are close. it takes a bit of practice but it works well for me and I am in full control of where muzzle is pointing.
    roe venison around 1.25

Either but muzzle down if it's raining