Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: European Made Bullets and other components.

European Made Bullets and other components.

Picking up on the British bullet thread, please can the importers switch their allegiances to European manufacturers. There is a ready supply of excellent product and the paperwork is far less than dealing with the US. Let's get some advantage of being in the EU.

+1 But keep the prices within reason

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Picking up on the British bullet thread, please can the importers switch their allegiances to European manufacturers. There is a ready supply of excellent product and the paperwork is far less than dealing with the US. Let's get some advantage of being in the EU.
    Henry Krank imports Prvi Partizan from Serbia.
    Westlander imports Sellior & Bellot from the Czech Republic.
    Viking Arms imports Lapua from Finland and Magtech from Brazil
    RUAG imports RWS from Germany and Norma from Sweden

And that's just off the top of my head. :-)

-JMS

Quote Originally Posted by JMS906 View Post
    Henry Krank imports Prvi Partizan from Serbia.
    Westlander imports Sellior & Bellot from the Czech Republic.
    Viking Arms imports Lapua from Finland and Magtech from Brazil
    RUAG imports RWS from Germany and Norma from Sweden

And that's just off the top of my head. :-)

-JMS
    yes but it doesn't seem to get out from the importers. Go to most gunshops that sell components and it's Speer, nosler or hornady bullets and no they don't have what you want and haven't a clue as to when they will get any more. RUAG will import, but need to order quite large volumes and takes a good length of time. In terms of cost, yes some European ammo and components are expensive - 2 or even 3 a bang, but in the greater scheme of things still a very small cost if it works well. My experience of RWS ammo has generally been very good.

I agree, I don't really understand why my rifle ammunition choice is limited to Remington and Federal, and my wildfowling cartridges are also Remington. Not that there's anything wrong with them, and I doubt that European ones would be much cheaper, but I don't have a choice in the matter, I have to pretty much take what I'm given. It's like being in a British supermarket circa 1984 and looking for ripe tomatoes...

Ahhh c'mon we all know that RUAG is a total waste of space. Just try getting them to bring something in even if it's current Norma production. They are just not interested.

I did manage to get some Selliot & Bellot bullet and loaded ammunition for the 8x57 .............................. once but getting more is shall we say trying. The American choices in 8mm were rather limited which again is probably down to the importers and not the makers. At least S&B load the 8x57 to it's potential and do not castrate it like the Americans do.

FNM of Portugal also offer some decent ammunition and bullets but again finding them is the problem. York Guns used to be the importer of that line I think. I know they sent me some after the episode with the overpressure PMC in my 6.5x55.

Perhpas if the European manufacturers offered more loading data like the Americans do then perhaps their market share could improve but only if their importers put the product on the shelves so we can buy it of course. Vectan (Nobel Sport) powders are good but loading data is scare.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Couldn't agree more Heym.

The only problem is the likes of RUAG who have decided that reloading is not worth bothering with in this country and the other two main players who are too tied in to the Americans because they rely upon them for other products from associate companies.

I have to disagree with you ever so slightly once again BH as regards reloading data. Nobel Sport actually produce or have produced an excellant reloading manual themselves in the past but few people in this country bothered to buy it because availability of Vectan powders was poor. The Vhitavuori manual is also excellant and lists many calibres popular in Europe. Lovex or Accurate Arms produce quite a good reloading guide. All three have information on the internet if look for it and all three will answer enquiries and provide excellant replies if you contact them by email.

Other European companies also provide good information but you have to look for it and most Brits simply think that language may be a problem so take the easy option and look to America where we they speak a similar if somewhat querky version of our language.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Ahhh c'mon we all know that RUAG is a total waste of space. Just try getting them to bring something in even if it's current Norma production. They are just not interested.
    My experience differs. I wanted a particular Kahles scope and needed it urgently for a trip to Africa. They got it shipped from the factory in Austria to my door the next day and at a cost of only 30. I call that service.

-JMS

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Couldn't agree more Heym.

The only problem is the likes of RUAG who have decided that reloading is not worth bothering with in this country and the other two main players who are too tied in to the Americans because they rely upon them for other products from associate companies.

I have to disagree with you ever so slightly once again BH as regards reloading data. Nobel Sport actually produce or have produced an excellant reloading manual themselves in the past but few people in this country bothered to buy it because availability of Vectan powders was poor. The Vhitavuori manual is also excellant and lists many calibres popular in Europe. Lovex or Accurate Arms produce quite a good reloading guide. All three have information on the internet if look for it and all three will answer enquiries and provide excellant replies if you contact them by email.

Other European companies also provide good information but you have to look for it and most Brits simply think that language may be a problem so take the easy option and look to America where we they speak a similar if somewhat querky version of our language.
    Interesting as when I began using SP7 and TU5000 there was only a very thin leaflet available and I have not come across their loading manual. I will now however try to locate a copy for future reference. TU5000 was the powder I found worked rather well in my 7x57 and it was with this load that I hunted Missouri back in 2003. Sadly after moving here Vectan powders were not so easy to obtain.

Doing a search I can only find some PDF downloads and not an actual manual................................ dissapointing really.

Quote Originally Posted by JMS906 View Post
    My experience differs. I wanted a particular Kahles scope and needed it urgently for a trip to Africa. They got it shipped from the factory in Austria to my door the next day and at a cost of only 30. I call that service.

-JMS
    Seems they are more interested in high price scopes than ammunition and reloading components. Strange as a scope purchase is not an often thing whilst ammunition and components is. Just shows where their profit margins lie does it not?