Misconceptions

MarkH

I shot a fallow picket on Saturday morning on the patch I share with a pheasant shoot.(I was there first) The deer reacted favourably to the shot and ran back into the wood. The shot was @ 250m just behing the point of the elbow. On follow-up I got up to the beast who suddenly jumped up and crashed off deeper into the wood too quick for a safe second shot. Ohh Poo.
Went back to the car and put the tracking harness/long lines on the dogs and returned to the wound bed which showed a good hit lung/liver. The keeper then comes roaring through the wood yelling something about if I have to shoot deer why dont I kill them immediatly and he has never had to search for a deer ever and he has been shooting them since he was 12. Also something about i must not take my dogs into the wood as he is shooting on Friday. I politely respond that the dogs will remain on their leads and once in a while deer will run into thick cover and it will be quicker to recover the beast with the dogs. By the way could he give me 10 mins to find the beast before he quads through this part of the wood.
He tears off at full throttle to spin some more grain around. I/dogs find deer stone cold dead 10m other side of ride deep in a bramble thicket.
Later the keeper returns grumbling that he has never seen the deer so spooked in the wood and implies it must be me :rolleyes: even though I go in there probably once a fortnight for a couple of hours in the high seat and to date one shot one kill, carcass carried out quietly on foot.
The keeper however tears round that wood 10+ times a week turning the rides into liquid mud, they beat and shoot this small wood at present every 7 days and in between he is lamping, pigeon and squirrel shooting.
The point is he does not spook any of the beasts of the wood only deer stalker do that :eek: :eek: :eek:

Ho Hum

Mark

In fairness to the keeper, pheasants seem to follow the quad to the feed rides, just like the real keepers of old used to whistle them up, however nothing will drive other wildlife off the ground than the situation described, unfortunately I don't suppose the keeper in question has spent much time walking quietly round the woods gauging the reaction of game to his presence.

I would have more luck/understanding getting the ALF/LACS to understand.

Sometimes our shooting/hunting breathren can be more obstructive and anti than the anti's. Oh for a simple life

When in the wood the last thing I need is getting any of the animals disturbed or twitchy. Its amazing how much vehicular assistance this pheasant shoot requires to remove 40 pheasants between 20 people in a day :rolleyes:

Mark

truth of the matter is he would probably prefer it if he had the place to himself, he does not sound like the sharing type.

Spot on. However I will not be giving up my shooting rights just to suit him just yet. :lol: :rolleyes: :eek: :evil:

Mark

Seems to me the keeper dont know his ar*e from his elbow, you do get them im afraid. Your situation was pefectly acceptable now I will bet you any money you like he would have about as much success shooting deer as he would finding Kate Moss riding bare in the wood! :D

Oh if only we were all shooting on the same hymn sheet, but alas it seems to be a squabble for our own little piece of control. :cry:

MarkH said:
Spot on. However I will not be giving up my shooting rights just to suit him just yet. :lol: :rolleyes: :eek: :evil:

Mark

I think you might find that wood will be become far less productive deer wise in the future. Its easy enough to do. As you say he's there each and every day, you're there once every 2 weeks. ;)

Good luck. Your going to need it if he knows what he's doing.

Fortunatly he doesnt. :lol: :lol: I have my spies.
I dont bother going into the wood too often Dec/Jan as the mud levels et quite silly. Much nicer to go to Scotland and clean my boots on the heather with a roe cull.

Mark

MarkH said:
Fortunatly he doesnt. :lol: :lol: I have my spies.
I dont bother going into the wood too often Dec/Jan as the mud levels et quite silly. Much nicer to go to Scotland and clean my boots on the heather with a roe cull.

Mark

Oh well! Lets just hope that no one educates him in the ways of doing things ;)

How did your doe cull go. The weather has not been ideal.

Get a quad for stalking in that wood....where the keepers feed with an atv the deer have no fear of same indeed they're attracted if they associate it with corn.

Now we wouldnt want two dumb asses tearing round the wood would we :rolleyes:

Dave

Only one buck down and a huge fox. The weather was truly awful as the rain blasts into your bins. Up again next weekend fingers crossed.

Mark

hi MarkH
the keeper on the estate next to my ground used to go roaring around the boundaries looking for me after he heard me shoot, and when i went to speak with him about gathering any fallen deer or injured deer that may make my boundaries and cross on to his ground , he let fly with language so fowl, i let him finish and then put my point across not that it did no good but over the last few years he has mellowed a little since i hav shot over 30+ foxes on my ground but still he moans i disturb his woods and it is only him that goes in near them
just can't help some people
but atleast i hav acces now to gather the goods

There's a nasty little cynic who lives inside my head and wonders - isn't it nice for a 'keeper to have a stalker to blame when a shoot day goes wrong?

well i could not believe it after so many outings he has left me alone for today as soon as he heard the shot , on his quad searching the boundaries looking for me , completely ruined our evening stalk
luckily we put one in the bag as soon as we got there so not a total disaster
stone

I have found the best stratergy is just keep stalking usually I'm out of the wood before they let him out of his holding pen :evil:
There are a 101 ways to bollocks up a keepers day if the need ever arose.

Mark

mark
that is evil :lol: :lol:
best part of it as we stood one side of the boundary hedge he drove slowly up the other side never even saw us :) but damage was done the deer had gone :(

Keepers are a law unto themselves, luckily l am on good terms with the keeper on my main bit of ground locally and most of my other ground l am the keeper in one form or another :D but in the past l have been in the situation where l have been as welcome as a tick until the deer start knocking over the feeders and raiding them then its the case of your bloody deer etc etc etc, l have a keeper friend who's neighbour has many fallow on the ground causing my mate untold problems and the neighbour will only let one guy stalk them accompanied a few times a year, there is just no getting through to some people.

monynut said:
Keepers are a law unto themselves,

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mess with the keeper and if he is so inclined he can make your life a misery.
Spoil his day, and he can ruin your season. ;)

Its always best to try and find some way of getting along with the guy on the ground as he's there far more often than you are.

Back