6mmAI

hello there, I have just be given a Remington 700 bdl heavy barrel in 222 , and was just wondering could i get it screw cut for a can and get a comp crown cut and also get the barrel fluted to make it lighter? and if so how much would it cost roughly?

any help would be grateful and also if any one has any 222 rem brass or other reloading supplies?

cheers charlie

Hi
If this is the Rifle i am thinking of then i have a real soft spot for them. Can you post a pic please?
It is certainly possible to do all you suggest to the Barrel but i would urge you take expert advice about fluting a factory hammer forged barrel.
I also think the costs involved could make it prohibative when compared with a new custom barrel.

Try forum members Redmist, Brock and Norris, Jager etc for costs.

Brock and Norris or Spud1967 will sort all your reloading needs in a breath.

Yorkie.

What you are proposing is sacrilege, leave the barrel alone it’s a modern day classic. And I'm not even really a fan of Remingtons.

What you are proposing is sacrilege, leave the barrel alone it’s a modern day classic. And I'm not even really a fan of Remingtons.

Just why i wanted to see a pic to make sure it was what i thought it was. I agree wholeheartedly.

Yorkie.

Screw cutting and re-crowning is no problem fluting may well ruin the barrel due to relieving stresses. It will likely warp.

By the time you have spent all that you will probably better off fitting a new barrel and by the time you have paid that much out it would probably be cheaper to buy a newer model with the features your wanting.

​I believe some 700's are considered classics.

Hi
If this is the Rifle i am thinking of then i have a real soft spot for them. Can you post a pic please?
It is certainly possible to do all you suggest to the Barrel but i would urge you take expert advice about fluting a factory hammer forged barrel.
I also think the costs involved could make it prohibative when compared with a new custom barrel.

Try forum members Redmist, Brock and Norris, Jager etc for costs.

Brock and Norris or Spud1967 will sort all your reloading needs in a breath.

Yorkie.

i will post a pick when i pick it up at the end of the month... and the rifle is around 20-25 years old, my grand father had it from new and he hasn't put 200 bullets through it....

I would not consider fluting the barrel, as others have stated, relieving the stress within may cause warping and it would be quite costly.

Re crown and screw cut is advisable if the crown is worn or damaged, either way its a simple task which can be done while the screw cut is completed.

Im sure you will find most people will do a screw cut and recrown for around a hundred.

Fluting (not advisable) would add another (est) 150+, as there are only a few people set up to do it in the UK.

Back