Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good dog choice

Good dog choice

Been thinking about a dog for a while. Wanting something too do a bit of rverything. Not deer tracking but able to find shot deer that are hard too find in cover. Bit of pheasant work. But most off all be a family pet. I have a 18 month old son so would need too be something child friendly with a good temprament and not too much too handle.

All suggestions welcome and your experiences of different breeds would be good.

Paul

ps id love a hungarian wirehaired vizla but the other half hates them, she thinks they look old with the beard haha
    Always think before you pull that trigger.

Lab from decent working lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex View Post
    +1. That's our plan for Spring... 95% pet, 5% getting me out of trouble!
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Any good reports of chocolate labs? Misses likes sound of them. Too me im nott too fussed of colour but its for everyone so try and find best for whole family

there is often a variety of coats within a litter of HWV puppies , maybe one with less coat would suit you ,
    they are a fantastic breed with a great temperament , quick to learn and very willing to please .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	024.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	485.4 KB 
ID:	34651

They have got a shockiing rep, but i have seen quite a few good ones (but they do belong to good trainers) but seen some terrible ones too. Seen plenty of bad black ones too

My only advice would be to go for a nice old fashioned type dog and ignore a lot of the modern FT breeding.

I see ur in aberdeenshire best bet pm wolverine on here (u'll even understand him ) he has some good working labs, his are pure deer but there off cracking proper old school FT lines so will do birds no problem and have a soft mouth, bonny looking dogs, how labs should look

Quote Originally Posted by countrryboy View Post
    They have got a shockiing rep, but i have seen quite a few good ones (but they do belong to good trainers) but seen some terrible ones too. Seen plenty of bad black ones too

My only advice would be to go for a nice old fashioned type dog and ignore a lot of the modern FT breeding.

I see ur in aberdeenshire best bet pm wolverine on here (u'll even understand him ) he has some good working labs, his are pure deer but there off cracking proper old school FT lines so will do birds no problem and have a soft mouth, bonny looking dogs, how labs should look

Am i right in thinking thats a terrible reputation in a working way? Or do u mean in any other way?? As in just clean off there rockers nuts.

They will work but finding a good working line is a lot harder with chocolate labs than blacks/yellows, they can also be a bit stubborn and slow(probably why women like them ) however there are some good ones out there. +1 with speaking to Wolverine.

Look into paying for a good line I work Drakesheads they are part trained when born and having working dogs all my adult life find them incredibly intelligent.

Lab for your 1st dog a must.