Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mm rem mag

7mm rem mag

Hi i've just had permission for a 7mm rem mag, going to use it on Boar a red . But do i go sythetic stock as the 7mm is quiet pokey and powders loads etc 160 grain bullet i will use . any ideas lads and lasses
    K C Rimmington

The 7mm RM is probably my favourite of the belted mags. It has plenty of power and shots very flat without to much recoil. Most of the loads I've used were with various 160's, with the Nosler Partition seeing the most use. It is an excellent all-rounder.

I've always got good results from IMR 4831. One of the most consistent loads I've found was 61 grs of 4831 and a Nosler 160 gr Partition and CCI 250 primers. This load shot well in three 7mm RM I've owned and one rifle belonging to a friend. According to Noslers reloading guide No 6 , this load is running at about 2900 to 2950 fps, in my rifles it ran on the low side, between 2875 and about 2925. This load is not listed as a maximum load, but as always, start low and work up.

According to Nosler, they found that Viht N165 gave the best accuracy with the 160 partition and accubond. I've never used this powder so I can offer no opinion, but a number of people I shoot with swear by this powder in their 7mm RM's. Nosler No6 lists 57 grs Viht N 165 ( 2789 fps) as a starting load with 61 grs (2904 fps) as a maximum load and the most accurate. They used a Federal 215 primer, they do not show a cartridge over all length but you can determine that for your own rifle.As always start low ( sorry, I sound like a broken record but it has to be said ) and work up.

As to the stock, I prefer walnut, but thats just me. The synthetics are more durable ( at least the good ones ) and in wet conditions, like the UK, will probably help in making it a more consistent shooting rifle. We aren't allowed moderators here so I don't like a lightweight magnum, about 8.5 to 9 lbs is just about right for me. That being said you can have one, so a light weight synthetic stocked rifle thats equiped with a moderator would be an easily managed and very effective rig.

Mostly just opinion, but I hope this helps, AB

Quote Originally Posted by kevin01041961 View Post
    Hi i've just had permission for a 7mm rem mag, going to use it on Boar a red . But do i go sythetic stock as the 7mm is quiet pokey and powders loads etc 160 grain bullet i will use . any ideas lads and lasses
    the 7mm rem mag is a good round bud i use mine on every thing now few things to consider dont get a gun with barrel less than 24 in reason you will now have a 270 26or more to get the best from them h1000 and 162g amax over magnum primer 3200fps from my gun remington 700 police 26in barrel h/s stock no more recoil than my tikka t3 in 243 if your foxing 120gvmax over 4831s/c think im about 64g powder will vaporise foxes can hit a 10in plate at 500yards with little efort very underated gun i think every one harps on about recoil now if it was a tikka t3 light it might kick your but but the remington no problem i can see the hits on foxes and deer which i like onley problem i can see is if you dont reload for it it 65pounds for 20 rounds and they are not dificult to reload for very acurate look at the longshotshooter on you tube will give you idea what it can do

Quote Originally Posted by wraith View Post
    the 7mm rem mag is a good round bud i use mine on every thing now few things to consider dont get a gun with barrel less than 24 in reason you will now have a 270 26or more to get the best from them h1000 and 162g amax over magnum primer 3200fps from my gun remington 700 police 26in barrel h/s stock no more recoil than my tikka t3 in 243 if your foxing 120gvmax over 4831s/c think im about 64g powder will vaporise foxes can hit a 10in plate at 500yards with little efort very underated gun i think every one harps on about recoil now if it was a tikka t3 light it might kick your but but the remington no problem i can see the hits on foxes and deer which i like onley problem i can see is if you dont reload for it it 65pounds for 20 rounds and they are not dificult to reload for very acurate look at the longshotshooter on you tube will give you idea what it can do
    x2 ab

I have a bell and carlson stock on mine Kev, works a treat.
    running very similar loads to alberta boy with excellent accuracy and recoil isnt an issue with 160gr partitions.
    Paul
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

Hi my thanks to you all having a look this week at whats about will keep you informed of the results
    K C Rimmington

A properly bedded wooden stock should very consistent, and certainly my Heym is. Personally I'm not a fan of plastic stocked rifles. If it's pissing with rain, the rifle is in a sleeve until needed - and even if plastic stocked I don't want scopes etc getting soaking wet.

But if I was a stalker on the west coast with big cull target and having to be out in all weathered day in day out I might well go the stainless / plastic route.

Dicksons in Edinburgh have a beautiful custom Mauser actioned 7mm mag complete with Zeiss scope in claw mounts for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Dicksons in Edinburgh have a beautiful custom Mauser actioned 7mm mag complete with Zeiss scope in claw mounts for sale.

indeed! built by Carlo Cassartelli - italian postal custom gunmaker. NECG banded front sight, 2 leaf rear slight, hot caustic blued barrel. Oberndorf mauser action, walnut stock with ebony front tip and silver steel grip cap and silver bottom hinged floorplate. Barrel band front sling fixture. The crest on the action has been removed with a roughing pattern by the smith. There is a military swingleaf safety which really lets this rifle down, and would have to be replaced with a Dakota style 3 position side safety. The bolt is very smooth as is the trigger. The stock is well veined and is oil finished, hand rubbed oil

Rifling is flawless, as is the crown

It’s a zeiss 1.5-6x42 zeiss in suhl clawmounts, sitting on a rail. Front is on a barrel saddle mount and rear is on the actual action, rear receiver bridge. It’s a bit snug and not too smooth IMHO.

Stock is ever so slightly on the short side, I suspect a 13 or 13.5” LOP.

NOT a rifle you would EVER EVER EVER consider changing, ie. moderate or change mounts on,,no no no...

If you want to have a stunning rifle and NOT moderate it, and NOT use a bipod, and NOT drill/tap it for mounts, this is a great buy...otherwise leave it alone or you will go to hell for your sins.

I believe it’s retailing at around 4,750 but I also know the owner is only getting around 2,500 from the sale price...
    Last edited by PKL; 18-11-2013 at 15:51.

Pity they don't list it on their website!