Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Up close and personal - Elk & photograher in the US

Up close and personal - Elk & photograher in the US

Just saw this and thought it might be of interest here. The moral of this story, don't mess with bucks/stags in the rutting season!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2507124/Brazen-photographers-death-defying-joust-young-bull-elk.html

Video here:

That could so easily of ended with a nasty injury

Thank you for posting that. Amazing to watch. Fantastic looking animal.

10-1 that boy is in trouble with humans in the future.

he should have whopped it on the nose!

All over the USA , theres signs everywhere to stay a good distance from rutting elk , they are in most of the rural towns , on grass parks etc , in my opnion the guy taking the pics is a nob , still trying to take photos ,whilst being squared up too , he has no respect for the wildlife at the rutting time , just my veiw though.

thats just dumb end off

Quote Originally Posted by arron View Post
    All over the USA , theres signs everywhere to stay a good distance from rutting elk , they are in most of the rural towns , on grass parks etc , in my opnion the guy taking the pics is a nob , still trying to take photos ,whilst being squared up too , he has no respect for the wildlife at the rutting time , just my veiw though.
    Couldn't agree more, in any of our national or provincial parks the park rangers will tell you ONCE not to approach wildlife to closely, if you dont comply it gets expensive. As this video shows, animals in our parks have no fear of humans, in some cases they have become used to being fed by humans ( bears in particular ). This has led to a number of human deaths and injurys over the years. It has also left a lot of dead animals on the side of the highway.It has always amazed me how clueless some people can be, the guy with the camera is just not smart, what does make me shake my head is the tool in the truck who is watching. He should have driven forward and scared the spiker ( elk ) away and then maybe explained to the meat stick with the camera that he shouldn't get close to potentially dangerous wildlife.

Sorry if this has turned into a rant , but its a bit of a sore subject with me.A number of years ago while in the town of Jasper, I watched a group of Japanese tourists approach a cow Elk with a calf , despite being warned by me and others to stay back ,they got to close and one of the tourists got the S#%t kicked out of him when she charged. While I think he deserved it, the Elk was then considered a dangerous animal and was destroyed by the Rangers. That is generally what happens when ever there is an injury to a human. While I understand it, the thought of killing an animal because some **** wants to get as close as he can for a picture ( and yet they almost invariably have telephoto lens as long as my arm ) just pisses me off.

Sorry , rant over AB

A few years ago, we went skiing in Banff, Alberta and the elk were quite happily wandering around the town showing no fear whatsoever! No doubt come the spring they would have been away up to higher ground though.

Quote Originally Posted by alberta boy View Post
    Couldn't agree more, in any of our national or provincial parks the park rangers will tell you ONCE not to approach wildlife to closely, if you dont comply it gets expensive. As this videuo shows, animals in our parks have no fear of humans, in some cases they have become used to being fed by humans ( bears in particular ). This has led to a number of human deaths and injurys over the years. It has also left a lot of dead animals on the side of the highway.It has always amazed me how clueless some people can be, the guy with the camera is just not smart, what does make me shake my head is the tool in the truck who is watching. He should have driven forward and scared the spiker ( elk ) away and then maybe explained to the meat stick with the camera that he shouldn't get close to potentially dangerous wildlife.

Sorry if this has turned into a rant , but its a bit of a sore subject with me.A number of years ago while in the town of Jasper, I watched a group of Japanese tourists approach a cow Elk with a calf , despite being warned by me and others to stay back ,they got to close and one of the tourists got the S#%t kicked out of him when she charged. While I think he deserved it, the Elk was then considered a dangerous animal and was destroyed by the Rangers. That is generally what happens when ever there is an injury to a human. While I understand it, the thought of killing an animal because some **** wants to get as close as he can for a picture ( and yet they almost invariably have telephoto lens as long as my arm ) just pisses me off.

Sorry , rant over AB
    Could not of put it better myself
    Wingy