Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Butchers Knives

Butchers Knives

I've been taking a look around at some of the information on here around processing deer carcasses and I was wondering what people's preferred weapons of choice were for butchering. I've yet to get the chance to have a deer hanging in my garage but when the time comes I'd like to have the right tools to do it justice whilst maintaining a full complement of digits. I do have the usual array of standard 'chefs' knives in the kitchen, but I would be very interested to hear any recommendations for a butchers knife or two that you chaps feel really help you do the job properly.

Thanks

You'll be fine with your chef knives take a look as what what mmbeatle sells in class fields. I use the mora clipper ones for skinning the carcass and separating the joints and the processing for dice etc.. And just purchased two of his new additins, I do have a long knife that I only use for steaking. I also have a bone saw and a machine for makig sausages and burgers and so on. What ever meat you want turning into mince leave it in the fridge for 24 before mincing otherwise it will turn out a little pastes like.
    as I ain't to far away from skipton I'll happily don't mind coming down showing you what's what and bringing my own gear down allowing to to make the most of your carcass.
    ive butchered many a carcasses from roe up to 165lb. I even do my own butchery on boar carcass.

If you don't butcher that many deer, and it's just one every so often as in my case, the chef's kinves are fine. I use the very short paring knife for skinning (it requires sharpening a couple of times in the process, it's remarkable how skin blunts the edge), and a longer one (~15cm blade) for the actual butchering and boning. For low intensity personal use, you don't need anything else.

Here you go, specifically I use the little one on the left for skinning, and the third from the right for the rest:
    http://www.johnlewis.com/robert-welc...p19639#default
    Last edited by Pine Marten; 15-11-2013 at 15:27.

My advice is you should find a butchers sundries dealer who will sell you a good quality boning knife - blade 4-5" long non flexible that will hold it's edge and can go through the dishwasher. A knife with a flexible blade is dangerous so short and stiff is the answer. (no dirty remarks please)
    Cutting meat and boning will take the edge off a good blade therefore you will need a good steel to keep the edge while you are working. Soft stainless steel is useless you need a good metal containing molybdenum or good old fashioned carbon steel. If you are really good at sharpening knives then you probably know that a good oil-stone is invaluable. A cut resistance glove might also be useful as well - not one of the metal gloves there are some cheaper alternative available from a butchers sundries-man - look in yellow pages.
    Have fun.
    ​Essbee

ESSBEE-. A knife with a flexible blade is dangerous

i cannot see the reason in what you said about a flexy knife being dangerous. been butchering 34 years now and a 5 inch flexy knife is what i use all the time .
    the time a knife is dangerous is when it is blunt and you are trying to force the knife through the meat.

If you want different knives than kitchen ones all you need for any size deer is a small boning knife, I use a 12cm victorinox curved blade and then a steak knife, I think 30cm Victorinox one as well, so long as they are sharp most will do the job, a bone saw or saw designated for the job will make things easier especially on larger carcasses. Keep them sharp with a good steel and if you can use an oil stone it will help keep them going for years to come, (the bottom of a mug where the glaze is missing also works well to restore the edge). flexi or non flexi makes no real difference on most jobs you will encounter, I am also a butcher and tend to stick with non flexi but thats just personal pref. you can wear ruberised gloves like gardening ones that will save you a few scratches and nics, normally from bones rather than the blade.

try the butchers equipment warehouse and take your pick ,the most popular knives are victorinox 5 inch curved for boning or 6 inch straight also try f.dick knives their a good solid knife ,a good rough steel will sort you out if your a rookie at sharpening

Quote Originally Posted by midge View Post
    ESSBEE-. A knife with a flexible blade is dangerous

i cannot see the reason in what you said about a flexy knife being dangerous. been butchering 34 years now and a 5 inch flexy knife is what i use all the time .
    the time a knife is dangerous is when it is blunt and you are trying to force the knife through the meat.
    +1 I was trained using a rigid blade and moved to a flexible blade, when I was in a team cutting 150 turkeys in an hour. Nothing wrong with a flexible blade and I'm far quicker using one.

you will be able to get through most of your needs with a 5" straight boning knife, although my preference is curved. Victorinox is the most common and therefore easiest to get hold of. If you use a local butcher regularly, ask them to order you one.

​ATB Dom

Brilliant !! Some really good information here - thanks chaps, please feel free to keep it coming!!

The Taylors Eye Witness knives are excellent - picked by the Which? Consumers Association as a 'Best Buy' as well.
    And at around 20 online for a Boning knife, about a third of the price of some more famous Brands.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....