Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats better 7x56 or 8x56

whats better 7x56 or 8x56

ok lads which one 7x56 or 8x56 both the same brand and why would you pick one over the other what benefits do they have over each other is one better in low light compared to the other with onley 1x diffrence why manufacture 2 scopes that are so close so if you had the money which one would you have thanks scope can be from eney of the big manufacturers

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    i dont like the 56 mm objective lens as it apparently does not make that much difference in light gathering in the top manufacturers,

as far as i can recall its down to glass quality and just how well the scope is made etc.

the best 7x50 i have looked through in the past was a zeiss, the best 8x56 i have used was a S&B but i sold it as the 56 is just too big for me as an individual.
    I think it will all be down to you in the end, and to add a spanner to the works when i had my S&B hungarian and we compared it to a German built one > we could not see that much of a difference.

I wish you luck.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

The human eye can only take in so much light and both meet the requirements. So it would be down to choice do you want to magnify more or not.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    The human eye can only take in so much light and both meet the requirements. So it would be down to choice do you want to magnify more or not.
    well said 6p, i forgot to mention when you add mag with a good scope you magnify the picture that is clear,

if you buy cheap you only succeed in magnifying the error of **** glass.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Maximum exit pupil for a young eye is 7mm. So no benefit in a 7 x 56, 8 x 56 has a 7mm pupil. But as stated earlier 56 mm objective is a big thing to mount on a rifle you have to carry a long way. You also may have problems with mount height.

David.

so is there no bennefit other than one is 1x higher if you put them side by side would one not be brighter than the other i remember reading that 7x50 was the best for low light if you now throe in 56mm then should that not improve things and if more mag simpley magnifies the dark more then surley 8x would be darker than the 7x56

Exit pupil, which is the objective lens diameter divided by the magnification controls the amount of light you see. A young person can use a 7mm exit pupil us oldies tend not to be able to use the full 7mm, do a 7 x 56 which has an exit pupil of 8mm is slightly bigger than you can use. Of course if you want maximum low light performance an 8 x magnification you need to go to 56mm.

Hope this helps,

David.

Don't forget more mag = less field of view for a given design and objective, and the more you zoom the darker and grainier the image. I find my 7x50 fixed mag Zeiss is all I need for UK deer-stalking scenarios. Never felt the need for more mag. No unnecessary complexity, parallax not an issue.
    Last edited by lotuseater; 16-11-2013 at 08:33.
    "Jenkins! Chap over there with the wings - five rounds, rapid"

6x42, exit pupil=7mm
    7x50, exit pupil=7.1mm
    8x56, exit pupil=7mm
    therefore each of the above combinations of magnification vs obj lens size gives the same calculated exit pupil and should, in theory, be as good as each other in terms of low light ability.
    In practice I find the 6x42 'appears' brighter. This may be down to the greater field of view a scope of this mag gives.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari View Post
    Exit pupil, which is the objective lens diameter divided by the magnification controls the amount of light you see. A young person can use a 7mm exit pupil us oldies tend not to be able to use the full 7mm, do a 7 x 56 which has an exit pupil of 8mm is slightly bigger than you can use. Of course if you want maximum low light performance an 8 x magnification you need to go to 56mm.

Hope this helps,

David.
    david so if the 7x56 had a 6mm exit pupil compared to the 8x56weith 7mm exit which one is better for us old buggers