venison fat any good for sausages?

For burgers and sausage for personal consumption I use pork fat, it has much les steric acid, therefore the melting is lower and recuse pallet cling.

I generally mix 50% venison 50% belly pork with caramalized onion mix with sun dried tomatoes, they are great.

i wouldnt think the sika fat would do the sausages any harm, your better trying to get beef fat as its not so soft as pork as for the seasoning it should do a 10 kilo batch just mix the fat in at your own accord with the rusks ,the name of the game is to make the sausages firm hence the beef fat, also try tongmaster seasoning its like walking into a sweet shop for seasoning theres that much its also free postage

For burgers and sausage for personal consumption I use pork fat, it has much les steric acid, therefore the melting is lower and recuse pallet cling.

I think the spill chucker has been at work here.

I really do want to know what is meant.

​Stan

Venison fat has a higher melting point than beef or pork fat, because of this its possible for venison fat to solidify in the mouth, not a pleasant sensation.

I think the spill chucker has been at work here.

I really do want to know what is meant.

​Stan
So do I ....! Venison and lamb fat is hard because it has much more steric acid in it and palmitic acid, pork fat on the other hand is the other way round. Pork fat melts around body temperature so the fat tends not to cling to your palet and the roof your mouth. It should have read "reduce"...!

Mix in lamb flank instead of fat, it tastes delicious, i use it with that mix.

Last edited:
Does any one use venison fat in their sausages?
I have a sika hind that is loaded with fat!

Will be using weschenfelder Royal Venison Sausage Seasoning
Any idea of venison fat / meat ratio?

I was making quite a lot of sausages with mix's from this firm. Personally I think they are too generous in the quantity of seasoning they provide for the chopping weight.. its pretty overpowering and makes a very, very rich (& salty) sausage. I'm also not bothering with fat pork belly any more, a decent natural hog casing and properly marinaded chopping will be plenty succulent enough.

I'm not sure why but.. based on a tentative taste test I find winter fat is not as sour as summer fat. It fair pours out of sika as well so may as well do some good in the mix.

Venison fat does not emulsify and is not used in manufacturing except for waterproofing boots,and cosmetics.

40yrs butcher/game dealer ,we found 1/3 pork belly to be the best oe even better still, pork cheek, this keeps product moist and is good for burgers and sausages.

hope this works for u.

​Chief.

I have used venison fat in many applications and think it is a matter of taste. It is stronger in taste so maybe ought to be used more sparingly, but I think most people are little conventional and or squeemish about it. They do not know what they are missing! For instance I have used it for pancetta to start dish and it is a really flavoursome way to start a pie or other. In sausages there may be something in the higher melting point, but one technique I have used is to make venison sausages with mushrooms and a lower proportion of venison fat. This works well for sausages. I am keen on this as I need to watch my blood fat levels so this is a health reason for me to cut down on other fats.

I've not had the pleasure of Sika but have used the suet fat from red deer to make suet puddings with venison & mushroom filling

50 : 50, venison : pig fat. I won't strip out all the venison fat though, I use a really herby mix and it all adds to the flavour.

Because deer fat is so hard at body temperature it is certainly difficult to eat - I must find out more regarding it being saturated etc with regard to finding the healthiest fat to use in cooking. - I'll get me coat & go Googling!

That's a recipe I wouldn't mind getting hold of. The lube cookies in my 577-450 Martini rounds are currently made from beeswax and Vaseline.

Original ML lubes were beeswax & tallow - Tallow is too soft on its own & the beeswax hardens it up. Half the fun is getting the right mix for the ambient temperature.
Deer fat is hard as it comes from the rendering (I get mine when I boil the bones down for stock). - probably as hard as beeswax. I suppose you could simply replace the beeswax with it to harden the tallow mix. - An experiment using it in my .451 Henry muzzle stuffer is in order methinks!
I'm curious to see how it affects the barrel fouling.
The beauty of beeswax is that it is naturally antiseptic & hence doesn't go rancid like animal fat. - Problem is that it is expensive.

Ian

Back