Can you identify this rifle?

Tartan_Terrier

A mate of mine is going to take a look at this .308 rifle tomorrow. I'm guessing that it's a Brno as the seller has it listed as a Braun..... :-|

Am I correct in this? If so, any ideas on the model? 550 perhaps?

Mystery rifle.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers
​T_T

Not to me it doesn't, and if it is not a 550
Funny trigger blade, wrong shape safety and appears to have screw on bases.

Neil. :)

Not to me it doesn't, and if it is not a 550
Funny trigger blade, wrong shape safety and appears to have screw on bases.

Neil. :)

​Yes noticed the trigger as well, looks a bit like the accutrigger on the savage rifles? Although the accutrigger was brought out in 2002 according to Wikipedia and this rifle looks a bit older than that?

Last edited:
Looks like a ZKK/601 to me there's no mistaking that trigger.

4986-kulovnice-zkk-601-308-win--1.jpg

Zkk-601 awful trigger never got on with it easy to take apart stick another blade in it but needed some gun smithing to get somewhere near I don't think I put 50 bullets through it before I sold it.

Cheers guys! :thumb:

It does indeed look to be a ZKK. Any idea on vintage and value? The seller is asking about £350 which I think is a bit on the high side.

If you look at the Left Hand Side at the junction between the barrel and the receiver, you will see a proof mark and also a two digit number on both the barrel and the action.
This number is the year of manufacture!
As for value £350 seems reasonable enough, but then again it's how you see it.
1706d1318610838-zkk-600-7x64mm-zbrojovka-brno-13-motn-2.jpg

As above 87 = 1987

Atb, Buck.

Last edited:
BRNO ZKK 601 dates from the mid 1970s until the fall of the Coomunist Bloc. So late 1980s at the latest. Spares, and especially the regular rather than that straight trigger are virtually impossible. But they are very accurate rifles for the money. The one in the picture is worth about £250 I'd say.

Check out (no pun intended) Gavin Gardiner's December sale. With ORIGINAL CZ mounts and ORIGINAL Zeiss Jena 'scope then £350 would be OK. But for that in the picture? No way! And if the foresight blade is missing?

OK. This is a .243 but is that 'scope on the rifle in the picture really worth an extra two hundred sovs? I think not.

http://www.gavingardiner.com/bidcat/detail.asp?SaleRef=0020&LotRef=53

Last edited:
If you look at the Left Hand Side at the junction between the barrel and the receiver, you will see a proof mark and also a two digit number on both the barrel and the action.
This number is the year of manufacture!
As for value £350 seems reasonable enough, but then again it's how you see it.

atb, Buck.

Thanks for the tip Buck!

enfieldspares said:
BRNO ZKK 601 dates from the mid 1970s until the fall of the Coomunist Bloc. So late 1980s at the latest. Spares, and especially the regular rather than that straight trigger are virtually impossible. But they are very accurate rifles for the money. The one in the picture is worth about £250 I'd say.

Check out (no pun intended) Gavin Gardiner's December sale. With ORIGINAL CZ mounts and ORIGINAL Zeiss Jena 'scope then £350 would be OK. But for that in the picture? No way! And if the foresight blade is missing?

OK. This is a .243 but is that 'scope on the rifle in the picture really worth an extra two hundred sovs? I think not.

It's an old Tasco 4x40, so definitely not!

Thanks for all the help.
Cheers
​T_T

He's just bought it for about £300!

The rifle was from 1988 and looked to have been very well looked after. The bolt however had been stored in a hand made (home made?) leather holster and had some rust spots which I presume had been caused by the tanning process that the leather had undergone. They weren't too bad though, and looked to be removable with some oil and some light rubbing with steel wool.

What I find odd is the lack of the model marking that is usually found on the left receiver wall like so:-The rifle the post is about is a ZKK standard hence the straight stock with no cheek piece and not fore stock tip which the "Deluxe" had. The ZKK 601 is the "short" action chamber for .243 & .308 etc and if memory serves me correctly the ZKK 600 was the "long" for 270 & 30-06 and the ZKK 602 the magnum version.

bought one not dis-similar to that a few years ago for around £180 including scope and mounts. great rifle, but I did a lot of restoration work on it mind.

it's 1000% a zkk, the set trigger you'll hate. i spent months trying to find a straight blade trigger, which I finally did on gunbroker at $40. helped enormously, but still creepy as heck

There didn't seem to be too many markings on it at all. "Brno Arms - Czechoslovakia" on the barrel, the dates on barrel and receiver, and the serial number, were all that I noticed. Looked like a phosphate or parkerised finish on the receiver, and a blued barrel.

That finish sounds similar to my 65 Vintage Brno Model 2:-

The barrel is bright blacked whilst the receiver is a matt finish.

Back