Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metal Epoxy Putty for stock bedding

Metal Epoxy Putty for stock bedding

Just wondering if anyone has used the above to create a better bedding between action and stock? I was considering using it to fill some gaps (rather than create a complete new bedding) under and either side of the action on a synthetic stock. I'm sure there are lots of reasons why it might not be a good idea so just wondering if anyone has any actual experience using it?

Evo-stik Hard & Fast Metal Epoxy Putty - Steel hard in 10 minutes

I've used Plastic Padding and Acra-glass.

Have not noticed a difference - other than the price.

But I have only used them on wooden stocks.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

i used it on a synthetic stock without any problems, just make sure you use a good release agent!!!!!
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

And make sure you can get it all assembled and in place inside the workable time, which is much less than 10 minutes full set time.

Neil.

Good advice from Hornet 6 , it goes hard very quickly, so make sure you're ready to bed exactly as you want to, or you'll end up with a messy re-bedding job, used it in making knives, and it goes off/gets tacky quite quickly. deerwarden.

I can see the short setting time being an issue.

Recommendations on release agents? Grease?

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    Recommendations on release agents?
    Boot polish.

And, as I recently learned in another thread, store the 2 parts in the refrigerator before mixing. Extends the working time.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

As above, Johnsons floor polish worked well for me when using two part epoxy, or Devcon to bed my rifles in the past, just polish on and then off a couple of times will do the trip, a sharp tap on the barrel onto a softish surface will release the action and stock, don't go mad and use too much glue and create shoulders of epoxy where its not needed, mask off the stock etc so you don't get epoxy where its not needed. deerwarden

Quote Originally Posted by deerwarden View Post
    As above, Johnsons floor polish worked well for me when using two part epoxy, or Devcon to bed my rifles in the past, just polish on and then off a couple of times will do the trip, a sharp tap on the barrel onto a softish surface will release the action and stock, don't go mad and use too much glue and create shoulders of epoxy where its not needed, mask off the stock etc so you don't get epoxy where its not needed. deerwarden
    Just been browsing through some of the Devcon products. I think it looks like a safer option than the steel putty. There are quite a few different products though so it still leaves me wondering which one would be best.