Metal Epoxy Putty for stock bedding

I've used Plastic Padding and Acra-glass.

Have not noticed a difference - other than the price.

But I have only used them on wooden stocks.

i used it on a synthetic stock without any problems, just make sure you use a good release agent!!!!!

And make sure you can get it all assembled and in place inside the workable time, which is much less than 10 minutes full set time.

Neil. :)

Good advice from Hornet 6 , it goes hard very quickly, so make sure you're ready to bed exactly as you want to, or you'll end up with a messy re-bedding job, used it in making knives, and it goes off/gets tacky quite quickly. deerwarden.

And, as I recently learned in another thread, store the 2 parts in the refrigerator before mixing. Extends the working time.

As above, Johnsons floor polish worked well for me when using two part epoxy, or Devcon to bed my rifles in the past, just polish on and then off a couple of times will do the trip, a sharp tap on the barrel onto a softish surface will release the action and stock, don't go mad and use too much glue and create shoulders of epoxy where its not needed, mask off the stock etc so you don't get epoxy where its not needed. deerwarden

As above, Johnsons floor polish worked well for me when using two part epoxy, or Devcon to bed my rifles in the past, just polish on and then off a couple of times will do the trip, a sharp tap on the barrel onto a softish surface will release the action and stock, don't go mad and use too much glue and create shoulders of epoxy where its not needed, mask off the stock etc so you don't get epoxy where its not needed. deerwarden

Just been browsing through some of the Devcon products. I think it looks like a safer option than the steel putty. There are quite a few different products though so it still leaves me wondering which one would be best.

Devcon 10110 is what I've used as acraglass shrinks somewhat, in theory you should remove at least 1/16 of an inch to get a consistent material glove around the action. I've done 7 rifles and dramatically improved them all by bedding around the action and the barrel up to around an 1" forward of the action, use a roll of tape to ensure the there is a consistent void for the compound to flow around the barrel. Search for bedding an action and you'll get lots of videos on YouTube etc., you're supposed fit aluminium pillars as well, I didn't on some, on the ones I did it was easy as I had a lathe to make them, all my rifles will shoot sub 1" easily, the BSA 7x57 Hunter will shoot sub 1" at 200 yards and I improved it to that without pillar bedding, merely ensuring the action fitted snugly into a Devcon glove with out removing much of the wooden stock, just ensured it was roughened up and crisscrossed by a sharp knife, for the compound to gain purchase to the wood. prior to the bedding it was shooting 1.5 to 2" at a 100 yards. deerwarden.

Last edited:
So where did you find 10110 in the uK ?
That number is for steel putty in a ½lb tub, this being a fully metric country you will find that you need
Steel putty No 10112 which is the same stuff but in a 500 gram tub.
I got mine from Cromwell Tools, decent price and quick delivery, the code is
DEV7112013D.

Neil.
:)

Back