Thread: Can't prime 7mm WSM in Lee hand priming tool

Can't prime 7mm WSM in Lee hand priming tool

I've loaded everything I've ever owned with the cheap and cheery Lee pot metal hand priming tool - the one with the squeezy trigger - from 45/70 down to .223 - but I have never encountered a problem.

Until now.

My 7mm WSM cases are too fat! They will simply not fit between the jaws of the device above where the case holder sits.

Fortunately my Forster Coax Press has a built in priming tool: it's a brute, there's waay too much leverage, there's no feel, but at least it works.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkathreebarrels View Post
    I've loaded everything I've ever owned with the cheap and cheery Lee pot metal hand priming tool - the one with the squeezy trigger - from 45/70 down to .223 - but I have never encountered a problem.

Until now.

My 7mm WSM cases are too fat! They will simply not fit between the jaws of the device above where the case holder sits.

Fortunately my Forster Coax Press has a built in priming tool: it's a brute, there's waay too much leverage, there's no feel, but at least it works.
    Damn, I ordered the number 5 shell holder for my lee auto prime only an hour ago!

If they make the holder there must be a way, surely?

I'll have to break out the dremel and maybe open up the gap between the lips with my tool (snigger) .

Please let me know if you find a solution.
    Last edited by xavierdoc; 17-11-2013 at 21:43.

I'm a bit surprised at that because Lee list shellholder number 5 for that calibre.

They do get it wrong sometimes though. I know because I had to point out to them a little while ago which is the correct shellholder for 9.3x74r and I got that information originally from the Nobel reloading manual.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Found this elsewhere:

"Lee says you can open up the top of the AutoPrime with a Dremel to get the case to fit. I did and it was easy and quick. If you don't feel comfortable doing that Lee will do it for $4.50.
    As for the Lee funnel I just heated the neck of the funnel with a heat gun and expanded it to fit the WSM cartridge.
    Problems solved."

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    I'm a bit surprised at that because Lee list shellholder number 5 for that calibre.

They do get it wrong sometimes though. I know because I had to point out to them a little while ago which is the correct shellholder for 9.3x74r and I got that information originally from the Nobel reloading manual.
    Oh the shell holder fits, I tried that first. It's the thing the shell holder fits into but look, mine's best part of 20 years old and must predate the WSM cases - certainly predates the WSSM cases. I'm not sure whether that part is pot metal or plastic but it would certainly open out just enough.

Already been there, grind off a shell holder ! seeemples!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!