Sako 75

TotalNovice

I'm considering buying a Sako 75 but I know very little about the Sako's.
is it a good action or is the 85 the one to go for?

Regards
​TN

For me it was the 75. the 85 was just on the market but i managed to shop around and get a 75.To be honest you wont go wrong with either.
I'm considering buying a Sako 75 but I know very little about the Sako's.
is it a good action or is the 85 the one to go for?

Regards
​TN

Thanks for the replies fella's.

I'm still none the wiser.....lol

I suppose it is down to personal preference.

Regards
TN

both are good, the 75 is better. just be careful not to get one where the key lock in the bolt shroud is the slightest loose, as once it starts to move on its own it can suddenly turn and leave the bolt locked when you least expect it on a stalk!

Not all 75's have the 'key concept' bolt shroud. No Action 1 was so equipped and the non-key concept parts are available to replace them on the medium and long actions.
Try asking a riflesmith, not a rifle dealer, which is the better rifle. If any said the 85, I'd show my *rse in the Co-Op window.
Buy the 75.

I've owned a couple 75s and an 85, and overall I preferred and so kept the 85.
The 85 bolt throw is far nicer, and despite having a theoretically inferior bedding design I have noticed no problems. Triggers and barrels are identical, the mag releases are different where I prefer the 75 as it's a bit less fiddly. The 85 stock design with its flatter comb with less drop at heel suits my style of shooting better.
Either will serve you well.

The 75 in action 1 (.223/.222) the action isn't the slickest, it tends to bind. Sako supposedly improved the situation with the 85 with a larger bolt bearing surface, although I've never tried one. This problem is not on the other action sizes, I am told.

Other than that the differences 75 to 85 are in the ejector and a couple of very minor tweaks.

You'll need to be more careful with a used 75 that the barrel isn't worn than you will with an 85.

Both my 75s were 243Win with the 'small' action, and the bolts were a disappointingly graunchy. The 85 is a longer 'medium' action 6.5x55 and is a lot smoother.
That said, the one on my cheapy T3, with technically a long action, beats them all and is the slickest factory bolt I've ever used.

Both my 75s were 243Win with the 'small' action, and the bolts were a disappointingly graunchy. The 85 is a longer 'medium' action 6.5x55 and is a lot smoother.
That said, the one on my cheapy T3, with technically a long action, beats them all and is the slickest factory bolt I've ever used.

+1

OR Get a 595 or 695 Tikka depending on calibre and spend the difference on the scope.

I ve had a 75, and it never did feel a 'slick' action, whereas both of the Tikkas are/were a delight to cycle the bolt, and mmmmmm accurate.

Back