Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is the best fixed mag low light scope

what is the best fixed mag low light scope

ok out the other night with a kahles helia c 8x56 scope no moon very cloudey wet and fog yet i could still count fence posts at 200yards now i would not shoot with it without a lamp but was very surprised at what i could see cant wait for the moon light nights and a goodfox call

The only real way for you to tell is to take a selection out and test them beside each other as the light fades. Try to read the headline on a newspaper for example and see which works best for you. My personal view is that zeiss, of the common scopes, are ahead on glass but that nickel are probably ahead of the lot but much less common or easy to get. despite that all the top names are more than good enough to get the job done. I use an s&b 8x56 and I've always decided it was unwise to shoot before the glass would limit my ability to shoot. If I had the cash for e new nickel I'd spend it on stalking and be happy that while I don't have the best glass in the world I have a scope more than good enough to shoot sika in forestry at last light.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Just for your interest Caorach there's a really nice nickel ir for sale in the classifieds and at very reasonable money its a 74544-Nickel-7x56-Illuminated, I have seen you mention these scopes a few times and speak highly of them though I have never used one my self but can Imagine the quality, and this ones looks really nice even though your s&b is more than up to the task it will make 300 plus and recuperate most of the cost, go on you know you want it.... and maybe you could swing it as a Christmas pressy.....

Oh and to answer the OP any good quality 6x42 7x50 8x56 scope perform very well in low light conditions, I own a couple of S&b 6x42's on my rimfire and foxing rifles and a zeiss diatal 7x50 on the 308 with the zeiss being ever so slightly the brightest.
    Last edited by dlz90; 18-11-2013 at 00:21.

Quote Originally Posted by dlz90 View Post
    Just for your interest Caorach there's a really nice nickel ir for sale in the classifieds and at very reasonable money its a 74544-Nickel-7x56-Illuminated,
    Thanks for the heads up but I couldn't justify spending the cash when I've got a scope that does everything I need of it. Also I know nothing about that particular model and as i understand it nickel did have a sort of bad patch going back a while so I'd want to know a lot about any scope I was looking at that wasn't in their current range. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it but just that I'd need to be sure. If it is up to their current quality then it will be a great buy for someone looking a low light scope.

Regular Poster
    Where there are more Muntjac than you can shake a stick at
    Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    nickel are probably ahead of the lot but much less common or easy to get
    Nickel are very easily acquired here : http://www.nickel-ag.com/en/default.aspx ...

full inventory or made to your order, secure online ordering, delivered to your door within a couple of days, prices include 19% VAT charged within the EU. S

Quote Originally Posted by Spix View Post
    Nickel are very easily acquired here S
    i think people are always loath to buy before they have had a play and in the uk they probably don't know anyone with a nickel to let them try it out. I've had a play and so would have no problems buying nickel but it would be a big pile of cash to put into something you'd only seen recommended on the Internet. If you have the cash and want the best then I've not seen anything better, though I've never seen any of the older ones, but you'd be mad to spend the money based on what I say and that is why you see so few of them.

S&B 8 x 56 with 30mm tube gives brilliant low light capabilities. Have used them for years with excellent results.

Jimbo

understand the big tube and big lenses, but does the magnification do anything as far as brightness?

I have a s&b 8x56, and it's perfect for lowlight stalking and have also used it for lamping foxes.

sorry for being thick headed but...... if you have a 1-8 x56 scope (lets just say they make one).... would it gather the same light at 1x as at 8x, or which would be better?