Thread: South Wales Range Day

South Wales Range Day

The plan for the day was for the members to use the range in the morning to zero and generally punch holes in very nasty bits of paper which needed dispatching. After lunch the not too serious competition would take place.

After signing in, and the usual range briefing the lads were given free reign on the range being able to choose targets from 50m to 200m. Everyone started putting their kit out on the firing points and rifles into the racks. A wide selection of rifles soon filled the racks from the more traditional stalking rifle to military sniper rifles.

Once everyone was ready, rounds started going down range with the usual crack of the moderated rifles, bangs of the un moderated rifles and then BOOOOOOM, that was Al (Multiman) with his .308 fitted with a muzzle break. I swear it was louder and had more muzzle blast than some .50's. He ended up with an audience, including those in the prep room who were watching through the windows, drawn by the glass shaking.

Soon it was mid day and time for me to spark up the BBQ. Menu for the day was barbequed loin of Roe or Fallow, served between inch thick slices of freshly cooked bread, topped with onion rings (proper man sized food I don't do dainty, my waistline is proof of that). Time flew by as we talked and ate, 2:00 p.m soon came and it was time for the competition.

Format for the comp was three shots at a BDS Roe target, off sticks at 100m, best group in the kill zone wins and to make it even, everyone had to use the same set of sticks. Morty was the first victim, banging off three rounds quickly. In between each string of three shots, the kill zone patch was replaced. Everyone was producing killing shots. Then Colin (Onelesscharlie) steps up, 3 shots later a very neat 1.5 inch group. Oh dear, there's only one more person then it's my turn. Colin's mate Dave steps up and promptly puts three into .5 inch!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh s***e I'm next.

My three go down range, and then off I toddle down range to see if my pride is still intact and collect the patches from where I had been keeping them by the 100m backstop. I had been leaving them by the target, to add a bit of suspense to the comp, but Colin and Dave had been spying the targets through the huge spotting scope they had brought.

Time to announce the winner, amazingly Colin had won, as one of Dave’s' shots was outside the kill zone. Dave was a perfect gentleman, pointing out that we had agreed beforehand that only shots inside the kill zone would count.

Attachment 34832----- Attachment 34775----- --Attachment 34776

Dave's 3 shots-------- Colin's winning group--- Me trying to save my pride

Attachment 34833----Attachment 34834

Colin with Barry Shooting Centre directors Richard and Roger

A big thank you to everyone who came, Richard and Roger from the range and Colin for bringing a selection of the moderators he makes. It was great to be able to put some faces and names to SD user names.

I do have to say sorry to Griffshrek for destroying his venison burgers on the BBQ (we were going to have a taste test between his burgers and mine, but I didn’t have time to make any). The pot of honey from his hives has gone to a good home.

We’ll have to do it again

Ade

Don't know why all the pics are not being shown, when I tried to edit the post they all appear, if you click on the attachment you will be able to view them.
    Last edited by British Shooting Services; 18-11-2013 at 22:31. Reason: Photo nightmare!!!

Glad you had a good day I bloody forgot about it.

Sorry I couldn't make it Ade but by the reports it was a great success. At least Dave "Bubble" remembered to chamber a round each time he intended to fire this time, as he likes giving them sika a warming noise first Sorry Dave couldn't resist that ==== CLICK

Had a good day shame that not everyone could make it. My 308 with the brake was bloody loud in that there tunnel. Shame I couldnt use the muzzule loader, It would have been interesting to see what group I would have had.

Quote Originally Posted by multiman View Post
    Had a good day shame that not everyone could make it. My 308 with the brake was bloody loud in that there tunnel. Shame I couldnt use the muzzule loader, It would have been interesting to see what group I would have had.
    I would like to have had a crack with that rifle as well, Never fired a front stuffer before.

Hopefully I have sorted the issue with the pics in my orriginal post, slowly getting to grips with these computer thingamy jigs, but I am dissapointed as my wife has just pointed out that my handy cup holder is called a disc drive

Ade