New boy, cal advice please! :)

Top-shot

Hi all,

New to this forum so please excuse any miss haps! A little about me, 25 s/g cirt holder of 2years and FAC of 7months.

Currently own a .22lr and .22hornet and love them both! :D

Iv recently passed my dsc1 :) and am looking at getting into stalking! I'm ready to apply for a variation however I am still undecided on a caliber... I quite fancy a 25-06 but that's only going on what I've been told by mates and have read.

95% of my shooting will probably be muntys, roe and the odd awkward Charlie that's too far away for the beloved hornet.

Possibly a a red trip once a year to Scotland. :lol:

Any advice on caliber and twist rate will be great fully received.... I will be home loading! :)

TIA, Pete. :):D:D

Honestly.........the deer don't really care. At most sensible stalking ranges there is little difference in most calibres providing your shot is good.
Buy something you like, buy something that you have confidence in, spend more on your optics than the gun, spend enough on decent mounts, keep the gun for a few years as it will take time for you to get to know it, don't be frightened of missing, educate yourself in deer management no matter how small your patch and enjoy. But above all else please don't become another willy-wagging trophy hunting my guns better than yours because it cost zillions to$$er. There's too many of them already.

Honestly.........the deer don't really care. At most sensible stalking ranges there is little difference in most calibres providing your shot is good.
Buy something you like, buy something that you have confidence in, spend more on your optics than the gun, spend enough on decent mounts, keep the gun for a few years as it will take time for you to get to know it, don't be frightened of missing, educate yourself in deer management no matter how small your patch and enjoy. But above all else please don't become another willy-wagging trophy hunting my guns better than yours because it cost zillions to$$er. There's too many of them already.

As he said + welcome to the site Pete
Find something you like to shoot and are comfortable with my stalking rifles in .243 & .308 are both Tikka T3's varmint stainless / synthetic not the most expensive rifles but accurate & what I like. As for calibre I've never had a deer tell me they would have preferred it if I'd used the .308 or vise versa

Never had a fox complain about being given a lead injection from my .308 either
I'd shoot em with a .50 cal if I had one. Would save picking them up

Last edited:
Cheers fellas,

I am very aware of the importance of shot placement as
do a lot if fox shooting and forever seeing the idiots who blow there guts out really gets my back up.

I just wanted to gain people's views on the 25-06 really as a few people have mentioned id be better with the .270 or .308 for the wider bullets.

Thanks for all your help.

Best get shopping! :)

There is an advanced search tab in the top right hand corner. Type in .25-06 and there will be lots of info on it without you having to wait for replies.
Baguio

Welcome have you thought about a .243? If uk allowed .222 would suggest this and for a bit more maybe .223. But if going for 26-06 why not 30-06 and work up different loads for different heads?

Back