Thread: Advice please

Advice please

Hi all,

New to this forum so please excuse any miss haps!

I currently own a .22lr and .22hornet and love them both!

Iv recently passed my dsc1 and am looking at getting into stalking! I'm ready to apply for a variation however I am still undecided on a caliber... I quite fancy a 25-06 but that's only going on what I've been told by mates and have read.

95% of my shooting will probably be muntys, roe and the odd awkward Charlie that's too far away for the beloved hornet.

Possibly a a red trip once a year to Scotland.

Any advice on caliber and twist rate will be great fully received.... I will be home loading!

TIA,

As I see it there are basically two cartridges which would suit your needs perfectly:-

In long the 270 Winchester

In Short the new fangled 260 Rem

I of course being old fashioned have the 6.5x55. Also of course the 260 was not about back then and I saw no need to change.

Whilst the 25-06 is used on reds personally I would like the larger diameter bullet.

In the 270 the 140 Grain bullets work well on Muntjac as do the 150's I found.

a 1:8 twist 24" .243 or .243 AI would be a fun and useful rifle for you to cover all those species, including reds. with the 1:8 you can use the 100g+ bullets in the 6mm, which takes you almost up to equal footing with the 260

the .260 of course, being an excellent choice too, in probably more 'in vogue' than .243

Quote Originally Posted by Top-shot View Post
    Hi all,

New to this forum so please excuse any miss haps!

I currently own a .22lr and .22hornet and love them both!

Iv recently passed my dsc1 and am looking at getting into stalking! I'm ready to apply for a variation however I am still undecided on a caliber... I quite fancy a 25-06 but that's only going on what I've been told by mates and have read.

95% of my shooting will probably be muntys, roe and the odd awkward Charlie that's too far away for the beloved hornet.

Possibly a a red trip once a year to Scotland.

Any advice on caliber and twist rate will be great fully received.... I will be home loading!

TIA,

I would stick with the standard industry accepted twist hence my suggestions.

25-06 is an excellent calibre and will do all you describe. If you fancy one go with it...

270 is harder on felt recoil - might be a better choice if 95% of your shooting was on reds, but it isn't.

I have shot with both (although I have a 6.5x55) and would be much more tempted by the 25-06.

Quote Originally Posted by mallettn View Post
    25-06 is an excellent calibre and will do all you describe. If you fancy one go with it...

270 is harder on felt recoil - might be a better choice if 95% of your shooting was on reds, but it isn't.

I have shot with both (although I have a 6.5x55) and would be much more tempted by the 25-06.
    Well I own rifles chambered for both 270 Winchester and the 25-06. Plus I also own a 6.5x55.

Around here certainly reloading components for the 270 are far easier to come by plus the 270 is gentler on the throat and bore.

I cannot say I noticed any difference in felt recoil until one gets to real light weight rifles. One of my 270's, yes I own more than one of them, weighs under 8lbs ready to stalk with 4 rounds in the magazine. The 25-06 weighs 8lbs bare, no scope no sling just the rifle.

If you can afford it, go for several calibres from .243 to 308

243 for smaller deer species and 308 for larger deer species and AOLQ as a matter of course for both new guns.

And then, when the need arises, ask for a something bigger like a 300WM for longer range larger deer species and wild boar.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Top-shot View Post
    Standby for a a stream of posts each of which recommends a different cartridge, and often based on the "I've got a so-and-so and it's great" logic. The bottom line is that there is a wide range of cartridge types and rifle makes and models, any of which will do what you want, from the .243 Win to the 300 Weatherby Magnum and everything in between. On this forum, the 6.5x55 and .25-06 seem to be particularly popular but there's no sound reason for that, they're no better nor any worse than .243 Win, .257 Roberts, 7x57, 7-08 Rem, .270 Win, .280 Ren, .30-06 Spg, 7x64 Brenneke, 7mm Rem Mag or many others you might name. There are reasons for and against each of them. To get a broader view, I suggest you Google with "choosing deer rifle" or similar and read around a bit wider.

A .243 Win would easily meet your needs. They're widely available, as is the ammunition, light recoiling, and flat shooting with a good reach. On the downside, they're a bit of a overbored cartridge (as is the .25-06) meaning that for their calibre (i.e. bullet diameter) they use a relatively large powder charge and barrel throat erosion is higher than with some milder cartridges. A .257 Roberts would also suit you, and the .25-06 is similar, but ammunition may be harder to come by. The 6.5x55 would also suit you, with ammunition more readily available than the .25 calibres, but it's slower than the .243 or .25s. Similarly the 7-08 Rem, an excellent deer cartridge. If you want the all round cartridge, then the .30-06 will do everything the others can do, only more so. And if you enjoy being beaten up by recoil, try one of the .300 magnums.

Let anyone think I'm knocking their favourite cartridge, I'm not. The fact is that a whole bunch of mid-range cartridges are, in real terms, pretty much equivalent.

-JMS
    Last edited by JMS906; 19-11-2013 at 16:05.