Not stalking related. The '87 Gale.

Remember it well
i was cycling home from college on that fatal Friday afternoon
​i say cycling.... Infact I was faster pushing my bike than trying to pedal....

Remember the 'great storm' well. It was the night before my grandmothers funeral. My mum said it was the way she wanted to be remebered she was strong in life (born in egypt, grew up in India, helped repair the lost then recovered colours after Isandwalah, her uncle commanded the camp that got wiped out, Intelligence in WWII) and difficult in death :D what a grandmother, my heroine.

Regards

​Seibassman

Last edited:
TMany of us should be thankful for this storm as it was responsible for freeing wild boar in many areas providing us with the port we enjoy today!

We lost the roof of a brand new stable block that night, we evacuated all the horses into a paddock dodging slates flying off the barn roof.

Scary stuff :scared:

my girlfriend and myself flew out to Jersey on the Saturday. It was a bit of a bumpy ride:D, the trouble with that was she had never flown before:scared:

I remember it but i think Devon was hit hard in 1991, at the time i was working for BT as a faultsman/linesman, i got up in the morning and attended my first job given to me the night before, i remember climbing the pole and thinking this is a tad 'iffy' as i could barely hold on to the ladder before i got my safety belt on, i completed the job and rang into work where i was immediately told 'no overhead work to be carried out today!'
The overtime came in handy though!
Cheers
​Richard

Just like Si, lost loose boxes, but horses already out.
Was out topping up feeders around mid day, but came out of the woods pretty quickly. Driving home in my Volvo 740 on a southerly bit of exposed road, down to 15mph and the car was being lifted across the road by the wind. Not sure which was more scarry.

I remember walking round my part of London in the morning, delighted to see so many plane trees had fallen onto expensive cars parked along the streets. Now that said, one of my mother's colleagues had a tree crash through her roof and wall which is less amusing. I also remember that the bloke who played René Artois in "Allo Allo" was hit by a tree.

It kept me awake all night. The wind was hitting directly the south facing tower block and the windows were past being due for replacement. The solid draught excluders were acting like reeds hence keeping me awake as just about every window in the whole block was singing.

With binos from my window one could see right into the control tower at LGW. Spotting scope was of course better still. That morning I had to move my Triumph Dolomite from it's council lock up as the roof had gone. Some of the 4"x 2"'s had peeled off and gone like spear through the houses behind the garages. One was stuck through the back door of one and another through the daughter bedroom window and embedding in the partition wall. Lucky escape for those two. Dad was coming out the back door but decided to get a warmer coat so went through to the front hall then "BANG" the 4x2 came through the door. if he had continued and opened it that timber would have speared him.

Councils fault as we reported that the ties had rusted through and the roof was insecure. Rather than repair they demolished the line of garages.

I slept through it as far as I was aware. However my wife says I got up to close a banging gate. I have no recollection of this.

We have a tree surgeon on the farm ,he said the great storm afforded him enough cash to get him properly started up with kit he was six mths down in Sussex for British telecomm .
​norma

Went out to see the damage, the house was surrounded by three dropped trees. all fallen in line with each wall..houae was all in one piece ., used the timber fifteen years later!!

Working in Romford at the time, I was following 3 lorries when they all blew over one after the other just like a set of dominos I also saw large trees blowing over one we had to rescue someone and send for the ambulance he was one lucky blighter!

I remember it but i think Devon was hit hard in 1991, at the time i was working for BT as a faultsman/linesman, i got up in the morning and attended my first job given to me the night before, i remember climbing the pole and thinking this is a tad 'iffy' as i could barely hold on to the ladder before i got my safety belt on, i completed the job and rang into work where i was immediately told 'no overhead work to be carried out today!' The overtime came in handy though! Cheers ​Richard
i
remember those winds well
was working at the then new Powys County Council buildings in mid Wales ... We stood there watching the slates from the roof being taken by the wind and being carried about 100 or so yards
it was an awesome sight to see but also a dangerous situ at the same time

Wife and I were awoken at about 4.15am by a loud crash and slates slipping off the roof(turned out to be a chimney pot and a sizeable piece of chimney stack had fallen off and slid off the roof). Next doors house was scaffolded out and I have never heard a noise like it. There was also no power and outside it was dark, like dark as in unlit rural areas and we were in a large town not far from London. Very scary for a time.

Mark

I remember it well. It was the night daughter No 2 was born. I didn't hear much of the storm though as she was born in TPMH Akrotiri.:D

Back