Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sauer 101 XT Classic

Sauer 101 XT Classic

Just wondered if anyone has shot or owns one of the Sauer 101's, am currently considering either one of these or a SAKO 85.. My RFD can offer me them within a 150 of each other which im not overly fussed about...

i would apprecaite any advice anyone can give, opinions on their performance and suitability as a stalking rifle

thanks

Tim

Hi Tim

I'm a big Sauer fan and went down to the Ivythorn's open day and tried one out. There a very capable rifle, proper Sauer quality. Mate there was a thread about the 101 back along, do a search and it should pop up.

thanks very much, will do !

good review in guns and ammo ,should be able to get it up online

I spoke with someone last week who was using a 101, he told me that the trigger was non adjustable, which I find hard to believe, however I would look Into that one before I bought one...I like Sauer and use a 202 myself, but looking at the 101 personally I would be going down the Sako route...HTH

Quote Originally Posted by sparko View Post
    I spoke with someone last week who was using a 101, he told me that the trigger was non adjustable, which I find hard to believe, however I would look Into that one before I bought one...I like Sauer and use a 202 myself, but looking at the 101 personally I would be going down the Sako route...HTH
    From what ive read it is fixed at 2lbs pressure and its supposedly creep free and properly crisp - "one of the best factory triggers" (cant remember where i read that)

Im not closer to making a decision. Another thing thats got me confused is that in some pictures the SAKO 85 hunter (wood stock) has two metal bits, i assume the block cut into the stock where as in other pics the two circles arent there at all?? ..additionally i really dont like the red butt pad either which is pictured in most SAKO 85 pics but not all, sometimes its shown with a black butt pad ???? apparently the butt pads are fixed and not changeable.

The Sauer sounds like its a great gun, not many people have bad thing to say about it, and at 150 more its not going to break the bank. However the forwards QD stud is not fixed in a position which will allow bipod so if you want to fix one at any time then youd have to drill the stock or get a gunsmith to fit it for you if you wanted it done to a professional standard (have messed it up before so id have to do that doh !)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	954b55ebb9dcd431238127951.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	34863Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2277851_01_sako_85_hunter_338winmag_640.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	34864
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.png   954b55ebb9dcd431238127952.jpg  
    Last edited by Evillemon; 19-11-2013 at 22:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Evillemon View Post
    From what ive read it is fixed at 2lbs pressure and its supposedly creed creep and properly crisp - "one of the best factory triggers" (cant remember where i read that)

Im not closer to making a decision. Another thing thats got me stuped is that in some pictures the SAKO 85 hunter (wood stock) has two metal bits, i assume the block cut into the stock where as in other pics the two circles are there ?? .. really dont like the red butt pad either which is pictured in most SAKO 85 pics but not all ???? apparently the butt pads are fixed and not changeable.

The Sauer sounds like its a great gun, not many people have bad thing to say about it, and at 150 more its not going to break the bank. However the forwards QD stuff is not fixed in a position which will allow bipod so if you want to fix one at any time then youd have to drill the stock or get a gunsmith to fit it for you if you wanted it done to a professional standard (have messed it up before so id have to do that doh !)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	954b55ebb9dcd431238127951.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	34863Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2277851_01_sako_85_hunter_338winmag_640.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	34864
    Hi, like most things there are pros and cons, one of the attractions of the sauer is the 6 lug bolt which locks Into the barrel, a reassuring point... Best to get out there and try them both for fit, performance and whichever appeals to you most...exciting times!...Enjoy

I see your problem, there both very nice and capable bits of kit. As Sparko says the only way to tell is try them... But that's not that easy! I've shot both and it's not an easy call..... The engineering in the Sauer is excellent but the Sako had more options for alterations down the line....

Go with whichever feels the most natural to you. Probably six of one and two threes in terms of which is the better.

I have an admittedly irrational hatred of Sauers based on several encounters with deeply irksome Sauer owners.

There's a category of rifles that appears to almost exclusively be bought in the heady flush of conspicuous consumption following the first big bonus of a career in the financial services industry - and Sauers seem to be firmly in that category.