Thread: G-Wagon

Established Poster

G-Wagon

Does anyone own a G-Wagon? I know that they are hellish expensive new. Just wondered what people thought of them and whether they liked them.

Ive been in a couple.

A previous employer owned a Brabus version that was ,,,,"adequately quick" (along with an SLR)

They (G Wagon), will go anywhere any other 4WD will

Yes they are nice, but very expensive to own and run. MB dealers do not have a clue how to deal with them.

If you want a decent 4wd get a decent toyota amazon.
    Last edited by Irish Bob; 19-11-2013 at 21:52.

I had a 280GE and it was built like the Forth bridge and they are heavily undersealed. With agressive tyres and full dif lock they will go anywhere. If i won the lottery it would be top of my shopping list. LWB petrols do 15mpg but worth every drop.

I recall working for a large chain of exhaust centres many moons back and had a customer come in wanting an exhaust for a G Wagon. No dice Merc only and even back then it was 1,500 for a mild steel system. I suggested he go to Cambridge to see an outfit whom custom made stainless systems which I believe he did and saved a small fortune.

​To order Merc needed engine and chassis numbers as it seems there are a number of variations depending on whom made the chassis up for them.

My experience was deep pockets.body panels could only be sourced from MERC.................................Ouch!!!!!!!!! !!
    Do you know what nemesis means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent, personified in this case by a 'orrible c@#t, me.

A buddy of mine has one here, one in Africa, and he loves them.
    But, unless you're gonna cross the Namib desert they're probably a bit OTT.
    They are feckin tough, real off-roaders and you select the diff lock not some computer over which you have no control.
    However, all the drawbacks mentioned above are true, low mpg, eye-wateringly expensive parts, most MB dealerships can't/won't service it..........
    Mind you, if it's what you want and you can afford it...................go for it, you'll probably love it.
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

Good, but not worth the extra hassle and expense.

Far better to go for a Toyota Landcruiser - preferably 70 series (though it seems that those are very rare here).

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Bob View Post
    Yes they are nice, but very expensive to own and run. MB dealers do not have a clue how to deal with them.

If you want a decent 4wd get a decent toyota amazon.
    this man knows what he's talking about!
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Absolutely belting offroad , the only time they can be a bit of a struggle is deep mud , they weigh a lot !!!