New yesterday

Kiwikeeper

Hi there People, I am a New Zealand born hunter living in Scotland I have hunted Reds,Wapiti(Elk),Fallow,Whitetail, Thar, Chamois, Wild pigs and everything smaller back in NZ. Since living in Scotland Ive hunted Sika,Reds and Roe with friends and as a stalker on Ralia etate enjoyed some exciting days on the hill with guests. I hunted (large game) originally with my grand fathers ww2 mauser 8mm buying my first Styer Mannlicher model M .270 at 16 a week after obtaining my license. I then purchased a CZ .223, Mannlicher luxus .308,Benelli argo 30-06, Remington model 7mm SAUM and finally a Styer Scout 7mm08.This rifle has proven to be the most versatile and practical I have owned. My most enjoyable and memorable hunts have been hunting for wapiti in remote and beautiful Fiordland national park during the bugle in some of the most challenging stalking terrain imaginable. Also taking friends out to shoot their first deer and believe it or not guiding continental guests on to their first scottish hill stags (hugs and scnapps all round). ;) Anyways sorry for the late intro am abit new to this whole cyber-stalking thing and have never been much into protocol. Thanks for reading and I hope i can be of some servous in the future. ;)

Welcome to the Site, plenty of very experienced and novice Stalkers on here, loads of people willing to help where they can in all aspects. Sounds like you had a good summer/autumn.

TJ

Hi Kiwikeeper,

Welcome to the site, sorry your first post was a bit of a rough opening. As you may guess from my forum name I have hunted a bit down under, would love to hunt Wapiti in Fiordland one day, was your Whitetail hunted on Stuart Island? My mate was there last year.

Hope to hear more from you latter, just watch out for some of the “winging poms” :lol: but most of them are soft southern, man bag carrying, latie drinking puffters. :evil: :lol: :lol:

ATB

Tahr

Thar said:
Hi Kiwikeeper,
Welcome to the site, sorry your first post was a bit of a rough opening. As you may guess from my forum name I have hunted a bit down under, would love to hunt Wapiti in Fiordland one day, was your Whitetail hunted on Stuart Island? My mate was there last year.

Hope to hear more from you latter, just watch out for some of the “winging poms” :lol: but most of them are soft southern, man bag carrying, latie drinking puffters. :evil: :lol: :lol:

ATB

Tahr
Hi ,cheers for the welcome. Yeah born and bred down in southland NZ so close to some great hunting. Have shot whitetail on stewart island and up glenorchy at the head of lake wakatipu. Will try put some photos up of our 09 Wapiti expedition in the "trophy room"( if im allowed) feel I should ask someone for permission first incase i stand on someone toes again. Shot a couple of big hybrids and saw heaps of really promising young bulls. Herd is getting better all the time best its been for years thanks to the Fiordland Wapiti Foundation Managment. Keep in touch.kiwi
:lol:

I have been advised by a Southern puffter that they call it “Latte” :confused: Oh well what ever, P.G. tips strong myself. :D

KiwiKeeper it is good the hear such promising news about the Wapiti in Fiordland, all I used to hear was doom and gloom about reds hybridizing the pure Wapitis into extinction. I read than they were attempts to heavily cull the reds on the edge of the Wapiti range to try and prevent the inbreeding.

Good to have you here, there is a couple of other New Zealanders on here.

ATB

Tahr

Kiwikeeper said:
Thar said:
Hi Kiwikeeper,

ATB

Tahr
Hi ,cheers for the welcome. Yeah born and bred down in southland NZ so close to some great hunting. Have shot whitetail on stewart island and up glenorchy at the head of lake wakatipu. Will try put some photos up of our 09 Wapiti expedition in the "trophy room"( if im allowed) feel I should ask someone for permission first incase i stand on someone toes again. Shot a couple of big hybrids and saw heaps of really promising young bulls. Herd is getting better all the time best its been for years thanks to the Fiordland Wapiti Foundation Managment. Keep in touch.kiwi
:lol:
:lol: I thought you lot had skin like a Hippocroccapig!Steve.

Welcome to the site. I was on South Island last year, around Canterbury, didn't manage to get out with a rifle, but I will next time. Good to have another 7-08 user on the site - it seems to be getting more and more popular.

Thar said:
I have been advised by a Southern puffter that they call it “Latte” :confused: Oh well what ever, P.G. tips strong myself. :D

KiwiKeeper it is good the hear such promising news about the Wapiti in Fiordland, all I used to hear was doom and gloom about reds hybridizing the pure Wapitis into extinction. I read than they were attempts to heavily cull the reds on the edge of the Wapiti range to try and prevent the inbreeding.

Good to have you here, there is a couple of other New Zealanders on here.

ATB

Tahr

I'd heard that the only purebred wapiti were inside wire. It's great to hear that there are some surviving in the wild, it would be a shame to lose them.

Yes Paul your correct there are no 100% genetically pure wapiti left in the wild in fiordland :cry: But there is alot of pretty good hybrid blood. The photos ive posted on General discusssion, deer in general or their antlers page 27 show a couple of young bulls an a old cow all of which look very Wapiti like to me ie. High caudial patch running to the top of the pelvis, dark almost chocolatey face neck and legs and creamy latte coat. It is very hard to see these features in the photos though but through binos and even the naked eye they stick out like dogs balls. Even before you see one after seeing their hoove prints you can tell their not ordinary reds. You still hear the odd bugle(whistle) or half bugle but mostly typical red roars. The hybrid I shot in the photo was roaring like a red so deserve to die. Sorry I digress. Thanks for your query. :oops: ;)

Back