Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We have to kill young deer as well ??????

We have to kill young deer as well ??????

Don`t know if this has been posted but just in case it hasn`t

http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/nature/24956710

Grandma to suck eggs springs to mind, tell me something I didn`t know , or haven`t been doing for the past 40 odd years

The responsible and ethical way of a cull/management plan is never if at all possible leave an orphaned calf/kid, or this is how I was lead to believe it was supposed to be, and I have strived to follow this practice for all of my stalking life

Just makes me grit my teeth when all of a sudden it`s put in the press like they have just decided this is the right thing to do and we the people who take on the tasks of a cull/management plan had never thought that this may be the case

I think they ( the press ) are laying down the first of a few strokes to try and paint a bad picture, as usual

This article I believe will cause unwanted press from the tree huggers

I know the vast majority carry out their cull ethically, but just a word to the wise be on guard for some incoming ......... I`ve seen the trailer

Bob

Last edited by bobg757; 20-11-2013 at 15:38.

Bob couldnt agree more , but with so many newcomers coming into the game you would be supprised how many dont realise this ! , so not a bad thing to air this topic , everyone has to learn and this may bring it to the attention of newcomers

The gist of the article seems to be that is is scientifically proven that culling followers avoids prolonged suffering and benefits the population at large, and is therefore justifiably regarded as good practice.

If the hunter that harvested Bambi's mother had been half as conscientious, it would have saved everyone a good deal of silliness.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Was what I was always taught and practice whenever I can.

Biggest debate I've seen going on this is which to shoot first?

Some say shoot the follower then the mature doe, but I cull mainly fallow and believe me if the doe has had a follower shot with her before she does not wait around long enough for you to reload! What seems to work well is to shoot the doe then the follower as they seem to hang around a bit uncertain of what is going on and give you a pretty straight forward second shot, especially if you shoot the adult through the shoulder so they don't run.

I'm sure that there will be much comment both about shoulder shooting and taking the doe then the follower but I can only speak from experience and comment on what has been shown to work in practice for me on the ground I cull deer on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    The gist of the article seems to be that is is scientifically proven that culling followers avoids prolonged suffering and benefits the population at large, and is therefore justifiably regarded as good practice.

If the hunter that harvested Bambi's mother had been half as conscientious, it would have saved everyone a good deal of silliness.
    It may well be that it has been scientifically proven that culling followers avoids suffering and is beneficial to the future population of deer, I KNEW THAT! Just like shooting roe kids before shooting the doe when possible I KNOW THAT! and, shooting pregnant muntjac so as not to leave orphans I KNOW THAT TOO!

My point is that the people involved with deer and their management knew what was the most ethical and, all of the reasons , the why`s and the wherefores for not leaving orphaned deer a long, long time ago, I was taught this over 40 years ago and nothing has changed so why all the fuss and press coverage all of a sudden

I`ll tell you why, ..... this has happened in the past, someone wants to make a name for themselves and the best way to do it is through media confrontation, the BBC know that all too well, so an easy target and one that will strike home especially now we are coming up to Christmas is the shooting fraternity, lets tell the whole world what they do and how they do it, this then leads on to the publicity, getting the us and them to fight it out which inevitably leads to a high profile / public figure / pop star etc. etc. taking sides and there you have your end result, the shooting/stalking fraternity looking bad because we are seen as the killers of young deer, the whole greater picture will not even be considered, we will be seen as the slayers of young deer.

They are very clever at what they do but they aint fooling me , why now leading up to Christmas not just a coincidence that we are into the hind/doe cull time of year

Trust me the article may well be true in most of it`s form and seem to be educational but there is an ulterior motive behind it`s timely publication, and anyway if that daft T**t had shot bambi` first then it`s mother, we probably wouldn`t have this problem of tears every bloody Christmas

Hope I`m wrong but prepare for some incoming

Bob

I think it depends on so many things that debate is inevitable and inconclusive as a result. Best practice would be to remove both but only if possible otherwise just the follower and leave the mature doe for another day.

Quote from the article:
    Although he was unsurprised by the results of the research Mr Kernahan [Robbie Kernahan, wildlife operations manager for SNH] said they were helpful in underpinning management decisions. "It's strength to the arm of what we've been saying in the past"...
    I thought overall that it was fairly factual an unsensational reporting. As to whether the BBC has any ulterior motives in the timing of its article - what was the publication date of the paper in the Journal Behavioural Ecology and Sociobiology? Have they been sitting on it or not?

Ahhh the Shooters in Bambi were poachers. Dear ole Walt was informed of this but it didn't suit his twisted agenda. Walt it seems was rabidly anti hunting hence bambi as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Ahhh the Shooters in Bambi were poachers. Dear ole Walt was informed of this but it didn't suit his twisted agenda. Walt it seems was rabidly anti hunting hence bambi as it is.

Actually there are loads of films he made that didnt make it onto the big list that he made that were pro hunting....I will see if I can find one I am aware of in particular.

Just one question, you shoot the follower (a buck) but the doe bolts, is there a potential out of season issue?