The best all weather shooting jacket/suit

gixer1

I am in the market to change my shooting/beating jacket and trousers and have had Jahti Jakt trousers and jackets the last 2 times as they were well made and hard wearing, the only complaint I have with them is the waterproofing isn't great - especially is kneeling in snow when shooting geese/stalking etc.

What are the thoughts on the current top products? I want the waterproof trousers and Jacket, currently the best reviews seem to go to Harkila pro-hunter so I am leaning towards this but am open to opinions, so what are your thoughts?

I have seen the Swazi ones mentioned on here but have no experience of these, and have a few friends with the seeland keeper suits.

Regards,

Gixer

You won't go wrong with Harkila Pro-Hunter. They are as robust as anything else I've had, they have Gore-Tex, so they're as waterproof and breathable as can be these days and are smart enough to be used on a pheasant day, as well as being excellent rough shooting and wildfowling kit. The only drawback is the price, but hey, you can't take it with you when you go.

I have been trying out the Swazi coat over the past month. It has just passed the test in Scotland for three weeks on Red and Sika Stags. And since then I have used it every day in West Sussex on the Fallow and Roe.

I am impressed with its design and water proof qualities, I especially like the larger hood which has plenty of room and the high collar to keep the wind and rain out. It has just been through its first wash in the washing machine and looks as good as new.

I have used several different suits of out door clothing over the years and only time will tell if this holds up. Mt longest set was Runninkop from Sweden, that lasted 3 years......just! And since January this year up to this January coming I will have done 203 days stalking.

I'll second harkila pro hunter jacket and trousers. I've tried lots of different coats and this seems to be the best so far.

Avoid Ridgeline, it's not breathable despite what the adverts say! I'll second Harkila though. I have a kodiak jacket that is 6 yrs old and it is still waterproof. I'm on my second pair of Kodiak trousers (the first pair are still waterproof but the leather is all torn up from brambles & gorse) and I've just bought some pro-hunter trousers.

I have have had my Pro Hunter for co Jung up to 6 years now. Faultless and still waterproof after 120 days of use. It's been washed 3 times. I bought the Prohunter Short 2 yeRs ago which equally as good.

Re the Swazi smock, a friend who has one rates it highly but only downside is that it is not breathable.

I have the pro hunter suit and yes it's very good but I do find myself back in the army surplus DPM Gortex from time to time.... Pro hunter jacket and trousers were - £££'s DPM Gortex - £30 -£40...... We've got to be mad arn't we???

I have just got a prohunter (yesterday) and have not given it a proper test, but after a couple of dog walks so far a very big thumbs up. Comfortable, warm, windproop etc etc. :thumb:

"I have seen the Swazi ones mentioned on here but have no experience of these, and have a few friends with the seeland keeper suits."

If I had the cash I would have bought the Pro-hunter !
The "Keeper suit " Is pretty good though,lasted three seasons so far and apart from a few bramble pulls on the knees is still holding up. Not the warmest jacket ? but a very practical work suit as long as you are moving about .

Value for money at todays prices,fairly good.

Pro-hunter=========£ cost more than your Vitara!:D
Keeper suit=========£ cost less!!!:confused:

You choose.:?:

"I have seen the Swazi ones mentioned on here but have no experience of these, and have a few friends with the seeland keeper suits."

If I had the cash I would have bought the Pro-hunter !
The "Keeper suit " Is pretty good though,lasted three seasons so far and apart from a few bramble pulls on the knees is still holding up. Not the warmest jacket ? but a very practical work suit as long as you are moving about .

Value for money at todays prices,fairly good.

Pro-hunter=========£ cost more than your Vitara!:D
Keeper suit=========£ cost less!!!:confused:

You choose.:?:

Your suits aren't really tested though as you get some other poor souls to walk through all the bad bits....;)

Thanks so far folks, I guess seeland is off the list then....

and Pro hunter is looking like the favorite, are the pro hunter trousers good for over and in the boots or just in?

Regards,
Gixer

I have the pro hunter suit and yes it's very good but I do find myself back in the army surplus DPM Gortex from time to time.... Pro hunter jacket and trousers were - £££'s DPM Gortex - £30 -£40...... We've got to be mad arn't we???

That might be your answer there - it is certainly the route I now go and there seem to be more and more people going the same way for stalking.

Get a mil surplus windproof smock and wash some waterproofing into it. This will have great pockets, be hard wearing and will cost £10 - £15 if you bid carefully. It isn't 100% waterproof but is more than good enough for most woodland stalking under most conditions. I stalk, walk and fish probably at least 100 days per year in the Hebrides and Ireland and wear only the windproof smock on all but a very few of those days, though sometimes with a fleece on cold days.

For really, really bad days add a German flecktarn or the British DPM gore-tex jacket and wear it UNDER the smock so you keep all your pockets etc. on the outside plus the smock makes the gore-tex quiet and you are 100% waterproof.

When it comes to jackets for stalking this is a great "clothing system" that is suitable for all conditions. The smock on its own is very breathable and so you will not get wet from the inside like you do with all the gore-tex jackets. The best bit of it all is that this clothing system costs about £30 - £40 to try and if you don't like it you can sell the bits back on ebay for what you paid for them. With a deal like that you'd be mad not to try it and if you do like it you will have £££ to spend on more stalking.

I didn't realise but Harkila is made by seeland from looking at thier website -

Rights and WarrantyWhat are my rights in case of defects?
At Seeland International A/S we are consistently committed to optimising our products and help you achieve fantastic hunting experiences. In the unlikely event that your Seeland/Härkila product is defective, we kindly ask you to return the item to the Seeland/Härkila retailer where you purchased it. Please remember to take with you a valid receipt or any other proof of purchase. Our retailer's experienced staff will then assist you further.
Is normal wear and tear covered by the warranty?
We manufacture all of our products to meet our superior standards. However, regardless of how carefully you use or how well you care for your Seeland/Härkila product, it might eventually begin to show age and wear. Our warranty does not cover normal wear and tear.
Will my product by Seeland/Härkila be repaired, replaced or credited?
If your Seeland/Härkila product fails or is damaged due to a manufacturing or material defect, we will assess whether to repair the item or replace it. If a repair or exchange is not possible, we will give you a refund. If in our sole opinion, the goods you have returned to us are not faulty, we will reject the warranty claim and return the goods to you in the same condition that we received them. If your Seeland/Härkila product has special memories attached to it that make it irreplaceable to you, please let us know in advance. Products that are not clean will be rejected and returned to you, and the return cost will be at your charge. If you have any questions or doubts regarding this procedure, please contact us.

I cant go passed the swazi tahr, Mine is on it's 5th or 6th season, stags and hinds and although the cuffs no longer seal and water can run up you arms when crawling it's still better than anything I have had to date.

After trying quite a few, I couldn't help but turn to the Pro Hunter. After recently spending 2 days in Scottish rain with temperatures hovering below 0, I wouldn't have wanted to be wearing anything else.

:eek:Never ever got a chance on a Swazi, but I am going to win the drawing on here, of course....

BUT: I love my Pro Hunter pants and jacket!:thumb:

By far the best I ever got, believe me, I tried it all, and I am an Retailer for all kinds of brands....
except Harkila...:banghead:

​Some lads from here will agree: Go Team Harkila!

I use swazi thar smock and harkila pro hunter kecks and find them spot on... Need a fleece under the smock when it gets a bit chilly but it will keep you bone dry...

​regards, Jez

I have have had my Pro Hunter for co Jung up to 6 years now. Faultless and still waterproof after 120 days of use. It's been washed 3 times. I bought the Prohunter Short 2 yeRs ago which equally as good.

Re the Swazi smock, a friend who has one rates it highly but only downside is that it is not breathable.

+1

Bought a pro hunter jacket and trousers in the end, wore them today for the first time for the geese, a walked up day and then out stalking in the afternoon and am impressed so far!

regards,
​gixer

Back