Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: West Mercia firearms unit sucks

West Mercia firearms unit sucks

​Warwickshire Police firearms and explosives unit was excellent, fast, efficient and businesslike. In a cost cutting exercise Warwickshire and West Mercia police have combined their firearms licensing and it is now run out of West Mercia in Malvern. The last time I put in for a variation to my forearm certificate in Warwickshire it took 5 days to complete. It is now 5 weeks since I submitted a variation to West Mercia and I have heard nothing back yet. I have just tried to phone them to check on progress only to get a recorded message saying that due to their busy workload they have suspended talking to people on the phone and it is not possible to visit their office. This is a joke, they want to put the price of licensing up yet they can not provide even the simplest basic service.

One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....

If their service falls below the level you can reasonable expect then you should contact their professional standards department and complain about it. Alternatively if you are worried complaining to them might mean even more delay next time then contact BASC assuming you are a member. They will advise you and may also contact the licensing team to see why it is taking so long to process your variation.

Just to rub salt in the wounds my last variation was posted on 2 April and landed back on my door mat on 5 April which was pretty impressive by any standard and not only did I get authority for two additional firearms I got all the daft conditions that had accumulated over the years sorted out into a reduced number of sensible ones too.

Praise where it is due, Hants used to be terrible with turnaround but my recent experience is that this has changed out of all recognition, acid test will be renewal next spring I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by neil_r View Post
    ​Warwickshire Police firearms and explosives unit was excellent, fast, efficient and businesslike. In a cost cutting exercise Warwickshire and West Mercia police have combined their firearms licensing and it is now run out of West Mercia in Malvern. The last time I put in for a variation to my forearm certificate in Warwickshire it took 5 days to complete. It is now 5 weeks since I submitted a variation to West Mercia and I have heard nothing back yet. I have just tried to phone them to check on progress only to get a recorded message saying that due to their busy workload they have suspended talking to people on the phone and it is not possible to visit their office. This is a joke, they want to put the price of licensing up yet they can not provide even the simplest basic service.
    That's a great shame. I always found them excellent as well (with the exception of one individual). Is there an email address on their web site? If you try to contact them on that you at least have a record should you need it.

How strange, a friend was just commenting on how good West Mercia had been with his recent variation only last night. He had particular praise for the FEO who dealt with his application.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I too fall under west Mercia now due to the change.
    I sent in for a variation only a few weeks ago and from posting the form to receiving it back was 11 days.

My FLO even said he was pleasantly surprised!

Title of your post seems a bit harsh, ! IMO.

They did a variation for me last month in a little under 21 hours, which isn't too shabby by any standard.

West Mercia have improved enormously from the mess they were in 3 years ago and I have found their current turnaround times to be pretty good most of the time - if a variation is needed quickly for some reason and as long as you are polite and patient, the bods in the office usually go the extra mile to get it done and back to you ASAP.

Obviously they prioritise genuine West Mercia work and push the Warwickshire rubbish to the bottom of the pile, but that just stands to reason - plus the files of people that slag them off on the internet get used to prop up wobbly desks or 'accidentally' fall behind virtual filing cabinets...

my last reneweal was 11 months, but i was impressed when i got a recent one for one done in 6 weeks, although they did add a few extra items which i dont own on to my fac
    welcome to west mercia

Well I moved to West Mercia from West Mids, they have had my electronic files for over 3 months but have not been out to me or issued a new cert. I actually chased them to make sure I had covered myself due to their inactivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Basher View Post
    Praise where it is due, Hants used to be terrible with turnaround but my recent experience is that this has changed out of all recognition
    +1