Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Out with the keeper today.

Out with the keeper today.

Asked if the keeper needed a hand today u of course his reply was yesterday.

First time I have been out with a keeper doing a days work. Well now I know that it isn't all about what I thought it was, I think it's time I made some in roads in to getting a job under a keeper even as his bitch!

I think it's where my heart lies, I didn't have a problem getting up this morning nor do I when going beating for him. My day job I have to drag myself out of bed just to get in the shower!

Then we ended up watching the hunt in the afternoon, not a bad life ey? Yes I know it's not always like this especially during when the poults are delivered and the rearing starts but most certainly think its where my heart belongs!

Nathan

does he rear his own or buy in as poults ?

Having a full time job and being a keeper now that's a different animal all together ! try that for a while takes the shine Off things lol
    all joking apart keepering isn't a job it's a life style not what it used to be but if your fortunate to get a good boss with sound guns then why not give it a go ,too many pitfalls to fall into but keep yr nose clean and work hard who knows .i reared even though I'm p/time but saw the light no rephrase that discovered stalking ! rearing birds from day olds means work from may onwards your life's not your own and you need a very understanding partner ! Still keepering so it can't be all bad can it !
    good luck
    ​norma
    Last edited by norma 308; 20-11-2013 at 20:14.

we start from febuary laying hens the lot we are on call 24/7 all year round not many people do it anymore there is a reason for that I know 3 or 4 people have gone into it and gave up after a year never to do it again what does that say not what it seems a lot of worry no real time off if rearing from scratch and rubbish pay but there is pros do what I want when I want as long as the job is done and it is a way of life not a job

weatherby you hit the nail on the head, way of life not a job, trouble is you used to get a house and job for life if all went well, now it's about money.

The enjoyment of stalking isn't just in pulling the trigger. For me, it's the same with game shooting. Merely pulling the trigger is for city banker types and lazy people. I soon learnt that I wanted to be involved with as many aspects as possible. But it's still a hobby for me. I can see that being a keeper on a commercial shoot releasing a lot of birds, especially ones reared in house and being the person where the buck stops on shoot days takes a massive amount of hours most of the year and creates a lot of stress. You're never going to be rich either. It really does have to be a calling.

Its great if you had time to watch the hunt in the afternoon I wish I had time when I had my shoot!

Go with your heart and see if keepering is your life. I am a firm beleiver in not having regrets so I would give it a go if it were me, you can always change direction later on if you want a new career. But at least you will have tried. Good luck with whatever you do.

Regards

Seibassman

Quote Originally Posted by pezz69 View Post
    Asked if the keeper needed a hand today u of course his reply was yesterday.

First time I have been out with a keeper doing a days work. Well now I know that it isn't all about what I thought it was, I think it's time I made some in roads in to getting a job under a keeper even as his bitch!

I think it's where my heart lies, I didn't have a problem getting up this morning nor do I when going beating for him. My day job I have to drag myself out of bed just to get in the shower!

Then we ended up watching the hunt in the afternoon, not a bad life ey? Yes I know it's not always like this especially during when the poults are delivered and the rearing starts but most certainly think its where my heart belongs!

Nathan
    my year
    jan - shooting , cleaing up after shooting
    feb - pressure washing
    march - sept - rearing feild
    sept - -November - dogging in , feeding etc
    dec - possibly day of at xmas & shooting
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

I think they used to rear all their own, last year they bought in 90% as it was just getting to much with ever demanding guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by weatherby View Post
    does he rear his own or buy in as poults ?