Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Doe's

2 Doe's

Attachment 34931

2 doe's from yesterday morning, this turned out to be a very memorable stalk. I glassed them as soon as I got out of the motor at the farm. When I got over the gate and into the 1st park I could see what I thought was a couple of deer 5 full parks away right up on the very corner of my boundary probably around a mile, I bypassed the wood and made straight in their direction over a ditch and then cutting up through the ruff ground to the left to give me a bit of cover as there was no easy approach. I managed to get in to around 400yards glassed and confirmed 2 doe's. The wind was in my face so that was a plus but it was going to be tough to get into them as there was only a thin strip of cover between my boundary and the next. Right time for a smoke, loose the excess equip (roe sack, bino's sticks etc) Smoke finished I now started making my way up the thin strip of cover which was hard going with brambles and whin bushes. I managed to get to within 140yards and couldn't get any further so slipped through fence through the ditch and whin bushes then slowly but surely through the last fence keeping as flat as I could as I was now in direct line with the 2 doe's which were feeding along the hedgerow. 1 of them was a little spooked but it didn't run just watched in my direction for a bit before continuing to feed. I lay and watched, waiting for the shot to present itself. She turned broadside and I pinned her with a good heart/lung shot with the 100grain bullet, she managed about 10yards before falling dead. I reloaded immediately not thinking the 2nd doe would hang about but she seemed to be more interested in what had happened to the other one. I had to crawl 10-15yards to get a clear shot past the fence/gate which had been a 130yards shot off the bipod taking the second one with a heart and lung shot again with much the same result she made about 10yards before dropping. Job done, gralloched both beasts which on inspection looked very healthy. A great morning out!

Alba gu brąth

Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under

Nice write up....No roe around my way as it would be nice to get one let alone 2!!
    Tim.243

Just lucky that the second one hung around for so long, didn't plan to take 2 but the opportunity was there! A great stalk for me with a good result!

Alba gu brąth

Quote Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
    Just lucky that the second one hung around for so long, didn't plan to take 2 but the opportunity was there! A great stalk for me with a good result!
    second be a kid. quite often if you shoo the mother first the kid will hang around not knowing whats happened or not knowing what to do because she doesnt have a mother too follow anymore. aswel taking the kid aswel instead leaving it on its own. good shooting.
    Always think before you pull that trigger.

Nice one bud

Weather looks braw up there. I get onshore on Wed and am stuck in Aberdeen for 2 days before going home, hope the weather stays as braw.

Cheers lads, I did think about mother and kid but there was only 1kg difference in weight between the 2 when cleaned. 15 & 16kg respectively

weather still fine up here at the moment! Pretty cold though.

ATB

​Bryan

Alba gu brąth

Nice one Bryan !

Dont think the second was this years fawn...too big...think they both look like yearlings (last years young).

Nice work pal

C

Waidmannsheil, well done!

I have get a few roe on one of my grounds too, but somehow, with all the work, driven hunts and tracking it didnt work out yet.....
    Time is flying, our season closes on the 31th of January....

Atb

​Michael
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.

Nice write up Bryan looks like your freezer is well full now pal.

Well done nice shooting, im looking forward to having a look around at our does this week.