Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no ordinary life

no ordinary life

I've just read 'no ordinary life'

its quite a short book
    its not very well written

First sd member that would like to read it post on here and I'll send it to them on the condition its passed on to someone else wanting to read this amazing story.

This tale reminded me so much of my grandfather it made me shed a tear. Unspoken lives that we ought never forget

Tony
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Yes please Tony.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Beat me to it Basil, sounds interesting.

Can I have a crack when you're done with it?

I'll pass it on once I've read it!

You lot with all your book reading......I don't know aren't we all posh

We looked up and could clearly see the approaching planes.
    I'd been almost drowned on landing
    shot at for what seemed like an eternity
    and now i was going to be bombed

we knew when the whistle of the approaching bomb stopped that it was going to be close so we dived for cover.
    to my right the canadian sapper id walked with lay on the ground then 5feet to his right stopped the truck wed been walking next to.
    the bomb exploded just on the other side of the truck.
    I was deaf
    I was draped in the fragments of the sappers remains
    i had a searing pain in my groin
    i tried to stand but couldnt

this is part of my grandads story of how the 2nd world war ended for him
    he couldnt stand because 2inches of his right shin had been almost surgically removed
    the pain in his groin was from were his left testicle used to be

he went on to father 7 kids and worked untill he was 77 and was my best mate
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Tough buggers ey?

My grandad is almost 83, going on 25!!!

Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    We looked up and could clearly see the approaching planes. I'd been almost drowned on landing shot at for what seemed like an eternity and now i was going to be bombed we knew when the whistle of the approaching bomb stopped that it was going to be close so we dived for cover. to my right the canadian sapper id walked with lay on the ground then 5feet to his right stopped the truck wed been walking next to. the bomb exploded just on the other side of the truck. I was deaf I was draped in the fragments of the sappers remains i had a searing pain in my groin i tried to stand but couldnt this is part of my grandads story of how the 2nd world war ended for him he couldnt stand because 2inches of his right shin had been almost surgically removed the pain in his groin was from were his left testicle used to be he went on to father 7 kids and worked untill he was 77 and was my best mate

Limulus, did your grandfather ever write his experiences down? I agree these amazing people, forged in the heat of a new and unthinkable battlefield, must be remembered. I'd love the opportunity to read about your grandfather, if it's not too personal a request?

Was in/around Normandy for the 50th Anniversary Ceremonies and got to meet a whole bunch of those guys 1st hand... In their 70's then and some jumped in to Sainte-Mere-Eglise again, overshot and marched almost 2 miles to town... It's just hard to believe the amount of **** we have walking the streets and protesting everything and demanding that others support their laziness are just 2 generations away from those heros.... I know they are only books and movies but it's nice to watch them and wish that those values would have lasted longer......

Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    Was in/around Normandy for the 50th Anniversary Ceremonies and got to meet a whole bunch of those guys 1st hand... In their 70's then and some jumped in to Sainte-Mere-Eglise again, overshot and marched almost 2 miles to town... It's just hard to believe the amount of **** we have walking the streets and protesting everything and demanding that others support their laziness are just 2 generations away from those heros.... I know they are only books and movies but it's nice to watch them and wish that those values would have lasted longer......
    +1 - Amazing!
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Quote Originally Posted by matt_hooks View Post
    Beat me to it Basil, sounds interesting.

Can I have a crack when you're done with it?

I'll pass it on once I've read it!
    Definitely ..
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.