Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scope mounts distance apart

Scope mounts distance apart

I've had/got a few rifles in different calibres but never really given much thought about where to position the mounts until tonight after seeing 'that' video about 'that' scope!!

Is there generally a certain ideal distance to set mounts apart and does it differ between rifles, scopes and calibres?

Cheers

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

As far apart as possible has always been my policy, on rifle that give you a choice that it.
    As yet not marked a scope while mounting, adjusting or removing.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    As far apart as possible has always been my policy,
    ​^ this

I used a piece of stock bar from my work shop instead of the scope its self, this way I can set the mounts and settle the rings with out any chance of marking the tube!
    If you intend to use a scope mounted lamp then make sure leave room for the bracket it when working out your set up!!
    Tim.243

I try to set them as far a part as possible but leave at least 1cm of tube free at each end.

I bought a Weaver scope alignment kit with the 25 & 30mm lapping bars etc. and having used it on my own and several fellow shooters rifles I was surprised just how many scope rings were not properly aligned.
    Last edited by phaedra; 21-11-2013 at 08:22.
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy

Dumb question perhaps, but what is 'that' video?

The original perfect distance was 7.2" this worked so that the old adjustable scope mounts stayed true to their calibrations. Lyman, Fecker and Unertl all made micrometer click adjustable mounts for their long type scopes and 7.2" was the distance to that they really did give 1/4 Minute clicks that moved the POI 1/4 minute.

This information was lifted from some of Col Townsend Whelen's writings.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedra View Post
    I try to set them as far a part as possible but leave at least 1cm of tube free at each end.

I bought a Weaver scope alignment kit with the 25 & 30mm lapping bars etc. and having used it on my own and several fellow shooters rifles I was surprised just how many scope rings were not properly aligned.
    I don't quite understand what you mean about scope rings not properly aligned mate?

It seems like I've been doing the same as you guys ref distance and leaving a gap for my torch mounts though,

Cheers
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    I don't quite understand what you mean about scope rings not properly aligned mate?
    Just because you bought the proper rings and bases for your rifle, do not imagine that the bores of the two rings actually line up.
    There is always a tolerance in any manufacturing process, and when rifle, bases and rings come from different makers you can pretty
    much guarantee the rings will be out of line to some extent.

Neil.

as tim says by using a bar with the same OD/ ie 25 mil or 30 etc , you locate you base part of scope ring on the rifle this will aline both bases to each other and remove any chance of them not being aligned, if when you have set them up n' locked them down the bar feels tight you know that they are not set up in line or may just need lapping in, if this is the case i use lapping paste and lap the rings until all is well with no snags or other you can tell when you have got it right the bar will slide like a smooth thing lol. Then i clean the bar and make tight the rings on the bar but only at 15 inch pounds. Then after all is set true i replace the bar with the scope . If i am going to use a lamp on top i use set back rings and a longer body scope so the ring is as much in the center of the tube as it can be And allow the room for the lamp ring/clamp

NB: Scope rings are generally torqued to 15- 25 INCH pounds, to convert that to foot pounds is 1.25 Foot pound equals 15 In. pounds, 25 Inch pounds equals 2.08 foot pounds