Wetherby rifles?

kevin01041961

Hi simple question are the Wetherby rifles as good as they say they are? i'm thinking of buying a 7mm rem mag price seems ok or should i splash out on something like a Tikka or Sako ? i have a Tikka in 308 the T3 model but no nothing about the Wetherby apart from what you tube shows and read on here.
So come on opinions please

Which Weatherby rifles are you refering to, the current or old Mk V's or the vanguard's/howa's/S&W1500's/CMC Mountanier's/etc.....?

If your going to buy a push feed for hunting performance then you may as well get a vanguard as a sako, tika, rem, as it will perform just the same in the field. Just remember the vangard is still a howa though.

IMO the best affordable factory hunting rifle avaliable right now, by "a little bit long way" is the current stainless offering by winchester in CRF.

Cheers Sharkey

Hi kevin i bought a new weatherby vangaurd in 1974 i put approx 4000 rounds through it.i sold it 2 years ago and it was still as good as new i then bought another w/v in the same caliber 270 cant fault them and very accurate

Hi simple question are the Wetherby rifles as good as they say they are? i'm thinking of buying a 7mm rem mag price seems ok or should i splash out on something like a Tikka or Sako ? i have a Tikka in 308 the T3 model but no nothing about the Wetherby apart from what you tube shows and read on here.
So come on opinions please

Same query as Sharkey, but a different slant. The answers you get will depend on the action, so this isn’t a simple question.

If it’s the budget Vanguard model under the Weatherby name then I believe the Howa action is identical. There are plenty of both contenders in use.

If however the prospect is Weatherbys’ own action …. like the Mark V’s 7mmRM’s on sale below then these are uncommon. These are now more common in standard chamberings than the proprietary ‘weatherby calibres’ which is a bit of a shame. To me these aren’t the genuine article, and not being fish or fowl don’t deserve premium prices.

Used Weatherby 7mm REM MAG Rifles For Sale in Durham :: GunStar

Weatherby 7mm Rem Mag Mark V Bolt Action Second Hand for sale. Buy for 800.

For me it would have to be an exceptional deal on a very exceptional rifle to even look at a Weatherby. I simply cannot stand the hype surrounding them especially when one thinks about what they actually make which is not a lot as all their gun are made for them and not by them. If someone can prove other wise I'll be happy to be proved wrong ;).

IMHO your better off going wiht the maker who makes them ans save the Weatherby margin. As posted Vanguards are nowt but re-branded Howa. I seem to recall the MkV's are now made in the US by a defence contractor, prior to that made in Japan and before that Germany.

There are plenty of makers whom offer the 7mm rem mag as a standard offering. Your familiar with the Tikka and Sako so I suggest you start looking there.

Another option would be the RWS Titian as discussed on another thread.

Had a weatherby Vangaurd before my current Sauer and it was a cracking rifle, no complaints, solid built and shot well.

Regards,

Gixer

Currently have a Vanguard. The Vanguard range is their budget rifle and as said is a slightly differently packaged Howa. However the MK 5s are USA made and have a huge following in the USA with the older more obscure Weatherby Calibres fetching daft money. In the range that you are looking at then I would say that the Mk 5 is a contender against a Tikka or Sako. Whether it's better or not I couldn't say.

Hi i want to thank you all it was very helpfull, the problem i have is that Sako or Tikka in 7mm rem mag well its a 6mth waiting list as special order, i'm a bit wary of buying second hand you never know why it was sold? was it as they gave up and the rife is spot on or is it shot out ? but thank you all very much it was as i expected really good advice:lol:

Back